3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2013 12:48 AM by Tom Smith

Portfolio advices??

Arthur Loginow

Hello i am almost going to get my mechanical engineer degree, and i want to know if anyone have an advice to work on a solidwork portfolio, because i do not have one, but i can handle the program in a pretty decent level i would say 60%-65% of the program, is not that much but i need a portfolio to show what i am able to do, the thing is that i do not have any real project to work with, and i would like to know your opinion, i have seen some portfolios but all of them look like (at least to me) there were made with real projects, whats your advice in my situation.

• Re: Portfolio advices??
          Lojze Bohor

Work on what you are interested in. Now you got the chance, once you are employed you have to work with what you are given, it'll happen sometimes you will hate the project.

Peter Farnham

Glad to see you are thinking ahead!

Only do what you are capable of showing your future employer without having to look in help.

I would do as many simpler projects that include the basic types like but not restricted too:

One mechanical

One surfacing

One FEA, (if you wish)

Get used to someone looking over your shoulder whilst you work, as your employer may want you to show him, (Many get nervous and mess up, even though it is an easy task) to show what you can do.

Most employers want to see that you can do the basics as they will have their own way of doing things. You would be suprised on how many newbies can not even create, let alone insert a block in a drawing.

Learn and show the following as bonus points:-

Drawing specs for your area, ISO, ANSI ect..

Revision blocks

How to tolerance assemblies after you have toleranced the parts.

Show surface finish symbols.

Templates

Weld symbols (if welding required)

Revision control and why.

Finshes like plating for example

Bend tables if doing sheet metal

A lot depends on what job you are going to be doing, these are just a few, the majority but not all are used when you get the job.

Doing projects is the easy part, relaying the required information to the interested parties is the hardest part.

Tom Smith

If you can get your CSWA certification, that goes a long way without needing to show off a portfolio. 

The last guy I interviewed that brought in a portfolio did not impress me with it.  Most don't bring one, so I have em sit down and model from a drawing.  It's a challenging model, most dont get it but I can see the thought process in the feature tree.