3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 2:49 AM by Artem Taturevych

How do I use IDrawingDoc::CreateRelativeView ?

Joshua Grant

This question has been asked before, but unfortunately had no responses: https://forum.solidworks.com/message/23031

The CreateRelativeView method is documented here

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/English/api/sldworksapi/SolidWorks.Interop.sldworks~SolidWorks.Interop.sldworks.IDrawingDoc~CreateRelativeView.html

How do I specify the 2 faces required for the relative view? Trying to use the method now does nothing and returns a null object.

• Re: How do I use IDrawingDoc::CreateRelativeView ?
          Artem Taturevych

The preconditions to make this method work is to have two selections for the part you like to create view for with the marks 1 and 2 for first and second reference correspondingly.

I have created sample macro for you which selects two faces by name (RMB on face and Face Properties. But you can get the face with any other manner) and inserts relative view.

For test:

1) Extract the files I have attached

2) Open the macro in edit mode and specify the path to the part file I have attached

3) Open/Create the drawing and run the macro. The relative view is created.

Regards,

Artem Taturevych

Application Engineer at Intercad

http://intercad.com.au/

Tel: +61 2 9454 4444

• Re: How do I use IDrawingDoc::CreateRelativeView ?
              Joshua Grant

Artem, I can't thank you enough for this! How did you work this out? I couldn't find this documented anywhere.

For anyone else struggling to use this method, the solution is as follows (C#):

1. Activate the part model using ISldWorks::ActivateDoc3:

solidWorks.ActivateDoc3(modelPath, false, 0, 0);

2. Select the two faces using the IEntity::SelectByMark method, one with a mark of 1, and the other with a mark of 2. Note: if you have IFace2 objects, they can be cast to IEntity to access this select method:

backFaceEntity.SelectByMark(false, 1);
                topFaceEntity.SelectByMark(true, 2);

3. Activate the drawing document:

solidWorks.ActivateDoc3(drawingModelDoc.GetTitle(), false, 0, 0);

4. Create the relative view using IDrawingDoc::CreateRelativeView:

int back = (int)swRelativeViewCreationDirection_e.swRelativeViewCreationDirection_BACK;
                int top = (int)swRelativeViewCreationDirection_e.swRelativeViewCreationDirection_TOP;
                IView drawingView = drawing.CreateRelativeView(modelPath, 0, 0, back, top);

5. Limit the drawing view to a specific body via the IView::Bodies property

drawingView.Bodies = new IBody2[] { bodyFeature };