1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 5:03 AM by Justin Burton

How to take glueing effect in simulation?

monika kodikara

Dear All

I am going to replace number of screws which are used to fix two plates together, with a certain kind of a glue. After glueing plates, they are kept certain time to cure. Then 5 bar pressure is applied to check whether the plates are bonded enough to each other. Now my problem is how to define a glue in SW simulation? Should I make those glue applying areas fixed or is there any other way? There is a picture attached.

I have only static simulation package.

Thanks for any help.

Glue area.png

• Re: How to take glueing effect in simulation?
          Justin Burton

What you do about the glue is all about what you want to find out.

If you make the glued faced fixed then they are ultimatly strong, from this you can see how the rest of the part will perform under the pressure you apply.

Another option is to contacts and bond the top and bottom plates together ensuring that the glued area is touching the top plate. Again the glue will be ultimately strong but you may be able to extract reaction forces at the touching faces to find out the forces that are exerted on the glue.
          Finally you could model a thin film to represent the glue. Apply a material that has similar performance to the glue in strength. This way although not perfect you will be able to see the sort of stresses that the glue will encounter during the pressure.

I also found this in the forums which seems like a good idea too:

modeling glue stiffness with cosmos

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/71668#71668