11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2013 5:45 PM by Bruce Turner

Align Function

Myron Hare

The Align function in SW2013 is not working correctly.  When using this function, it only aligns the dimensions either parallel/concentric with no spacing

• Re: Align Function
          Kelvin Lamport

Are the offsets set correctly in the Options > Document Properties > Dimensions section?

Myron Hare

Yes, I even went back and reviewed them several different ways to see if it would make a difference, however it didn’t.  Have you tried it?.  I have my offsets as follows: upper limit .406, dim from the part is .375

Mark Kaiser

I second Myron.  I'm on 2013 sp1.0, and aligning dims parallel/concentric doesn't work for me either.  One drawing, it set them at zero spacing, the second drawing I tested, pressing the parallel/concentric button did nothing (with dims pre-selected).

Matthew Lorono

Mark and Myron,

What is the difference you've found between 2013 and 2012?  I want to start looking into this point.  Also, if there is a regression from 2012, I ask that you immediately contact your VAR to have this confirmed and filed as a bug (if applicable).

Myron Hare

All,

There is not an SPR for this bug fix.  The # is 678885.

Myron Hare

I guess this issue is not the important to users.  This issue is still not resolved

Kelvin Lamport

I'm sure the issue would be important if it affected many users. Chances are it doesn't. The align function appears to be working OK for me, but perhaps I'm not doing what you are wanting it to do.

Can you post images of what you are trying to achieve?

I noticed Mark Kaiser (see post #3 above) had a simlar problem, but he is/was using a Radeon card so no surprise there.

What graphics card are you using?

Mark Kaiser

Kelvin, this is a function that used to work in 2012, and doesn't work in 2013.  Regression.  Hopefully fixed in 2014.  If I was doing the amount of detailing I used to do, maybe I'd speak up more. 

I don't feel this function should work/not work based on the video card either.  We're talking about spacing dimensions on a 2D drawing space, not making anything 3D look pretty.

Myron Hare

Mark is correct the align function has nothing to do with the video card.  The function is supposed to align dimension whether they are in the vertical or horizontal position.  The align function worked in SW2012 and when SW2013 rolled out the align function aligns them alright, but all together and not spaced.  Now I know how SolidWorks goes, I have been using SolidWorks since 1997 and this function was added back in the day as a drawing enhancement, and I know that this is not a critical function that is stopping the software from running, so SolidWorks will get to it I hope.  I do a lot of detailing on drawings so it is a function that is worth its weight in gold.