9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2013 3:54 PM by Aric Acius

Curve through xyz on a new plane

Aric Acius

Hello

I searched through the forums and google and could not find what I am looking to do,  I am building a airplane with a v-tail and have every thing completed except for the tail.  I have two sets of xyz cordinates for the curves.  However, when I use the standard insert feature, it places the curve inside my design.  I have a plane created in the area I want to build the tail.  Is there a way to insert my curve onto that plane instead of the standard front plane?  Or will I have to take my data and put it through a 3D rotation matrix, which I would really rather not do. 

Thanks for your help in adavanced.

• Re: Curve through xyz on a new plane
          Serban Ghiroltean

Hi there,

If I understand correctly, you have this part (the plane) and in another part file you have a sketch. Open both parts, make a plane where you want to place the sketch and just drag and drop the sketch from the Feature Manager on that plane. Hope this will help you.

Bjorn Hulman

You could create the tail in another part then insert both into an assembly so you can position the tail correctly. If you need a part file you could then save the assembly as a part again. Not a terribly elegant solution, but it would save you having to alter the co-ordinate system of one of the objects.

Aric Acius

Thank you for your posts so quick. I tried saving the assembly as a part, but unfortunatly it creates surfaces instead of solid parts and my professor will not accept that.  I did consider creating the tail as a new part and then bringing it over, but I could not find how to mate it to the first part so it would be angled correctly?

The thing is I just want to have one part file for ease of changing things (and thats how this class is being run).  Ive created a reference plane and a cooridinate system where I would like to insert this sketch. anymore ideas?

Serban Ghiroltean

1.jpg

Open those 2 parts as shown above: at left I have a sketch (your profile), at right I have a slanted plane somewhere in the space (your aircraft with a plane where you want to introduce your profile).

2.jpg

Drag your profile as shown above, but be sure you have selected the plane where you want to insert that profile.

3.jpg

Observe that you have a new sketch. Edit it.

4.jpg

Now you can position it as you like in that plane.

Aric Acius

Serban thank you for your help, I found that the steps you listed do work, unfortunatly I have one more set back,  I have a curve through xyz, not a sketch, is there a way to put my curve into a sketch?

Serban Ghiroltean

You have to put in those coordinates manually for each point and then use the points as nodes for a spline. Other way is to draw a spline "as you like" and then select each node of the spline and put in exact x,y,z coordinates. do not forget to fix each point after that (right click on point and there is an anchor sign, 'make fix'). Another way is to draw lines from one point to another and then select all the lines and click 'fit spline'. The problem is that the spline wont 'reach' those points. See attached file.

There will be more easy if the curve is an equation.

Lenny Bucholz

Aric Acius wrote:

Serban thank you for your help, I found that the steps you listed do work, unfortunatly I have one more set back,  I have a curve through xyz, not a sketch, is there a way to put my curve into a sketch?

start a sketch on the plane you want, then select the curve from the tree or graphic area, then on the sketch tool bar click the convert entity and a it will put a associated geom on it, the curve controls the shape but you can add or trim parts of it away to use.

Aric Acius

Thank you Lenny, I actually just figured that out today, Serban your way also worked.  Thanks everyone.