29 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2014 5:32 PM by Jerry Steiger

saving/ SW 2013 as 2012

Rich Lott

hi, i've just got solidworks 2013 and have happily made a few parts and assemblies, but have just realised my University still uses 2012!

are there ways of either converting my assemblies to the 2012 version,

opening them as 2012 at University,

running the 2012 program through the 2013 version

or saving future files to 2012? - MS word has an option to save as previous versions of the program? (e.g. Word 97-2003 Document)

i am aware that SW 2012 SP.5 should open parts/assemblies but i assume the University ahas an earlier version than this...

any help will be much apprciated

thanks

• Re: saving/ SW 2013 as 2012
          Glenn Schroeder

Rich,

Welcome to the forum.  SolidWorks won't save to an earlier version.  It looks like you'll get some more practice making your parts and assemblies again in SW2012.

Scott McElroy

This is something that you should bring up with the IT department incharge of the Solidworks install for the university. They should be updated by now or should at least warn students that might be obtaining Solidworks about the backwards compatability issues.

Jeff Mirisola

Educational institutions are, generally, a release behind. I think it's more because when SWx student edition is released versus the schools' being slow.

Jim Wilkinson

All of the educational versions (those used at schools, student edition, etc.) are created to last through an entire school year so schools/students don't have to upgrade mid-year. They are also created to keep the school version and student version in sync. So, the 2012-2013 educational versions are based on SolidWorks 2012 commercial version because that is the commercial version available when we have to create the educational versions. So, the 2013-2014 educational versions will be based on SolidWorks 2013 when they are made available.

So, I guess you can call it "behind", but it is intentional so there is not an update to the educational products in the middle of a school year. It is much more important to optimize the compatibility of the school and student versions and ease of running the release across the school year than keeping exact compatibility with the commercial version since that form of compatibility is not required as often.

I hope this helps explain the difference in the versions and apparent "lag" in the educational versions.

Thanks,

Jim

Diogo Marinho

Hello, to all.

The problem is not the school, it's solidworks!!

I work at a company and we use solidworks 2012, but sometimes we have to design our produts in solid 2011 or even in 2010 just because we have to send the editable parts to other companys that are not up to date with the newer versions.

Now we ask ourselfs: Why should the company buy the latest version if we have to work on the earlier one just because our partners aren't up to date?

Now we can't work on the latest version and use the most recent features of the 2013 just because third party's company won't update!!

And I'm not even going to the problem and time consuming of all the customized features, material configurations, etc that we have to do in all 3 versions.

Does this makes any sense to anyone?!?

e.g. Other programs had the same problem, like Autodesk 3dsmax, but they got aware of this problem earlier and now you can have the latest and better version on your workstation, and save it to earlier versions of the program.

Thank you and hope that this issue can be resolve on a newer service pack or in 2014 version.

PS: Sorry about my english errors but I'm Portuguese.

David Lee

There exists a utility to convert SW models up and down but it seems to be kept as a corporate secret.  McMaster-Carr's SW models can be read by any version from SW2009 and up so someone there has the conversion utility.

Jeff Holliday

I highly doubt that there is corporate secret. There are too many smart people using SW, SE, Pro-E, etc that would be able to figure something out.

In the case of McMaster-Carr, the models are most likely created in an early version (like 2009). These can be used in more recent SW versions without a problem. They most likely have later versions already saved for quick use. This is just using forward-compatibility instead of backward compatibility.

David Lee

You are perfectly free to doubt it if that pleases you but I was given a beta version of an Up/Down Solidworks utility by a member of a SolidWorks YAHOO group a few years ago that functioned as advertised for over a year until my hard drive crashed.  Alas, I had not made a back-up.  The inimatible Deepak Gupta all but called me a liar and you can as well.  Name calling never bothered me much.

Regarding McMaster-Carr, I suggest you take a look-see at their WEB site before making unsubstanciated declarations.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Jeff Mirisola

Actually, you can open 2013 files in 2012:

If you have SolidWorks 2012 Service Pack 5, you can open parts and assemblies created with SolidWorks 2013.

However, the files open in read-only mode, and not all FeatureManager design tree data is available.

Go here for complete details.

Rich Lott

Thanks for the replies,

but ultimately at present there is no way to use my existing SW2013 Parts in my Uni's SW2012 edition, is that correct?

it's not the end of the world, i just want to make sure....

Alexander Sandstrom

Just a comment in regards to a no-backwards-compatiblity: This sucks and should have one (like MS Word)

Toz Fttoz

or its an effective way of twisting peoples arm to keep upgrading

David Lee

The following is from http://blog.cati.com/2012/10/how-to-open-solidworks-2013-files-in-solidworks-2012-sp5.html:

Starting with SolidWorks 2013, SolidWorks files are backwards compatible! With previous release interoperability, you can collaborate using a mix of SolidWorks 2013 and SolidWorks 2012 (SP5). Files can be opened directly and associativity is maintained. That's right. You do not have to export and import files!

Jeff Holliday

That is correct to an extent. Even SW will admit that it is not 100% guaranteed to give a fully functional model with respect to feature translations. Some features will still come in as "dumb". There is a long way to go to guarantee full backwards compatibility.

Matt Brasher

I recently moved from a company that used CATIA to a company that uses Solidworks.  I was VERY surprised that Soldiworks doesn't have a down convert utility.

David Lee

SolidWorks is full of surprises.... or maybe disappointments is more accurate.

Jeff Holliday

I am sorry that you were not aware of the lack of reverse-saving. It has been a problem for a number of people but it is not limited to just SWorks - this is a shared problem among many 3D Modeling applications. If anyone has come up with a solution, maybe he/she should share it.

David Lee

Well Jeff, perhaps someone [or all enlightened SolidWorks users] should let Dassault Systèmes know that their encrypting of a newer version of SolidWorks so that an older version is unable to read it is not fooling everyone out here in user land.  Generic CADD doesn't do it and I don't believe ProE does it either.

Jerry Steiger

David,

I hate to burst your bubble, but ProE (Creo Parametric) does not have backward compatibility either.

Jerry S.

Jerry Steiger

David,

Actually, I just learned yesterday that Creo Parametric does have a sort of backward compatibility. People running Wildfire 2.0 or later (I think, I didn't write the information down) can open later files and they can see the full feature tree, but they can't edit the existing features. They can add new features. This is a step up from getting a dumb solid, as you can see the features, but it is still no easier to modify.

Having the capability to see the features makes it really obvious, at least to me, that PTC is crippling the model just to try and force users to upgrade to the latest. Since I have always felt that PTC was more mercenary and cut-throat than SW, this doesn't surprise me.

Jerry S.