4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 1:34 PM by Phil Marra

SW cant find data folders.

Phil Marra

I just installed 2013 on a new machine, copied my settings from a flash drive. I am getting some errors now because there are missing paths for file locations. For instance "Hole Wizard" cannot find the location of the data. My old machine has been in operation since 2008 and there are refrences to folders that go back that far. There are Beta folders that still exist also. I was quite a mess from all those installations over the years. My question, is there any way to reset back to factory defaults to direct SW to the proper location of data folders? The obvious answer would be to use the "backup" I should have made before copying my settings from the flash drive. I didnt do that . Would it be best to uninstall and start over? Also at start up why do I get a msg. saying there is another session running in the background, there isnt.

• Re: SW cant find data folders.
          Deepak Gupta

Go to Tools > Options > Hole Wizard/Toolbox and set the data folder location here by browsing to the old folder location.

Phil Marra

Thanks Deepak, however I was already able to get that back in line. It is just when I check each file location there are paths that do not exist on this machine, must be that when I used the copy settings, these paths all came in. For instance "sheet metal bend line note file" the path is "C:\Program Files\SolidWorks 2006\lang\english". I can delete then redirect but I am uncertian where the path is.  I do not use sheet metal and never have so how this got directed I am uncertian. Is there a listing of the correct paths anywhere or should I just wipe clean and reinstall?

Paul Marsman

you don't have to reinstall to reset your registry.  you can rename the SolidWorks registry folder and SW will rebuild it with factory defaults... you could then check the paths and un-rename and set accordingly.  I'm not able to remember the path off the top of my head but do a quick search on the forum and you'll find many references.

but I would recommend against using a settings file from a different version... I and others have seen issues crop up from doing so.  I recommend going through the settings and changing the ones you need and set up your customizations each major release, just my 2 cents.