5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2013 1:36 PM by Deepak Gupta

Unable to mirror surface

Ray Fletcher

I have a surface that I am attempting to mirror across a plane, but the mirror functions are disbaled/greyed out. Are there any prerequisites to mirroring entire peices? None of the planes, when selected, wakes the mirror function. I have tried various combinations as well, such as control-selecting the surfaces and then the plane, but still nothing.

Thanks for the help!

Ray

• Re: Unable to mirror surface
          Deepak Gupta

Ray, I don't see any reason of surfaces not mirroring up. What is your SW version and SP. Can you restart the machine and retry. Doe it happen with specific file or other files too. Can you upload the file or some pictures to look at.

Please use "advanced editor" in case you want to attach any files.

Editor.png

Ray Fletcher

I am using 2001. The mirror function works when i'm mirroring a solid. But when there's a surface, there's not even an option to mirror. I'll try to upload a file, I'm not sure that I can with it being a demo version,  and an old one at that!

EDIT: Just reconstructed the entire surface model from scratch, and still no mirror function available. My guess is that this function was made available in later versions. I can think of no other reason. I can thicken the surface into a solid, and this wakes up the function, but as a surface, there is no option.

Deepak Gupta

That's a very old version Ray and I don't think mirror was supported for surfaces in that version.

I'm bit curious to know as what is the specific reason that you need to use/work on that a decade old version.

Ray Fletcher

I edited in more info in my above post....

2001 was given to me recently. I took CAD up only a year ago when someone else gave me a copy of Cadkey 19, and I absolutely fell in love with it. Late in age, I have finally discovered what I want to be when I grow up. This type of work  satisfies me, although, I don't exactly work in this field...yet...but that is my trajectory. My plan is to enroll in a local college for math classes. If i'm a student, I can get the latest SW (student version) pretty cheap- 300 bucks I think it is.

But for right now, 2001 is all I have. I would love to get something more up-to-date, but I am at least learning some quite complex functions. I really haven't had much of a problem completng tutorials for later versions. This mirroring quirk is the first one i've dealt with thus far, and this is a 2009 tut.

I'm a stay-at-home dad right now. My older son, (10) is also learning SW. He's coming right along aside me.

Thanks for asking!