AnsweredAssumed Answered

Molding a complex part, HELP!

Question asked by JR Ryan on Feb 2, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 6, 2013 by Richard Gergely

Hi, I'm still learning my way through solidworks and I have run up against a real doozy. Well painted myself into a corner actually. I am trying to create what I thought was a simple part, a hinged box with two internal walls and 5 cutouts. Here's a picture of the box in the open position:

5.jpg

My trouble comes when I try to create a mould that will actually work to make this thing. I have never used the mould tool before, but I understand the principle of it, I'm just very confused!

I started by assuming that the best way to manufacture was to remove the top of the box in two parts and injection mould the bottom and the inside in one part.

4.jpg

As you can see from the picture it is deceptively complex. Never mind the undercut 45degree slots for the minute, I will create cores for those, I am stuck at the very basic level of just finding a suitable parting line! I used the base of the box as a parting line, thinking I would just pull the top of the mould off and extract in one, but unfortunately, when I made the mould body, solidworks treated my solid object like a set of surfaces and gave my this (you can see the parting line in blue):

3.jpg

Part of the tricky aspect of this is getting your head around making a parting line for the living hinge.

2.jpg

and when I do manage to get something that solidworks actually accepts, the small valley between the two halves of the box prevents me from making a parting surface.

1.jpg

I am really stuck here, If anyone can shed some light on where I need to place my parting line in order to get a mould that will result in a solid object and not a surface shell, I would be very grateful indeed.

Solidworks model attached for reference.

Outcomes