6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2013 11:19 AM by Tim Webb

What Pitfalls from Restructuring a Vault?

Brian Dalton

I'm being asked to do significant restructuring of the folders in our vault, and I'd like to be sure it's

1. Possible
      2. Not a major PITA
      3. Not gonna hose half the vault configuration

The restructuring (as currently conceived) would go something like this:

Current vault -

Vault Root

|

|---Procedures

|---ECO

|---Templates

Proposed New Structure-

Vault Root

|

|---Engineering

|        |

|

|---Doc Control

|        |

|        |---ECO

|        |---Procedures

|        |---Templates

|

|---Manufacturing

|

|---(various folders as req'd by Mfg)

As I understand, EPDM will track and maintain file references as files are moved around, but I want to be sure that I won't bugger up all my templates, file data cards, etc. which may be looking to find info in a specific location.  Once the locations are moved, what will break and need to be re-linked by hand?

Anybody have any direct experience with this?

• Re: What Pitfalls from Restructuring a Vault?
          Joy Garon

Brian -

If it's just moving folders to new locations it should not be too bad.

You will have to revise templates to point to the new location and check conditions that may be trigger off folders, etc.

These types of changes are much easier than the workflow changes I'm dealing with :-)

Good Luck,

Joy

Greg Rupp

Hi Brian, Here are some things to consider:

1) Folder templates -Do you have folder specific permissions? Do you have subfolders in 1000, 2000, 3000... etc.? The reason being, if you change your folder structure, the permissions do not follow. So if you have specific permission to say %root%\1000\, you will need to recreate all of the folder specific permissions for each user/user group for each subfolder. This will be a major PITA if you have a lot of folder specific permissions.

2) Your Toolbox (if you use one). I'm not sure of the issues moving the toolbox would cause.

3) Custom Cards, all types. If anything references or defaults to a certain path, that would need to be updated.

4) Categories - Update you path specific conditions

5) Custom tasks - Any tasks using specific directories need updating

6) Templates - If you setup project templates with folder specific permissions, that needs to be updated. You may have other path related info in there as well.

7) Custom Addins / Dispatch - Self explanatory

8) Workflows - If you have path dependent conditions this may be affected.

Bruce Buck

We did something similar about 6 months ago. For the most part, it was relatively painless, HOWEVER, there are a few issues that you'll need to be aware of:

1. Make sure everyone check-ins all files prior to the restructure.
              2. All the folders (and files contained in it) that you have listed in your original structure will continue to reside on everyone's workstation as LOCAL folders and files. It will be critical for you to go to EVERY workstation and make sure those local folders/files are deleted after the restructure. You can try to use the Clear Local Cache command, but double-check that those local folder/files are indeed gone. Otherwise, there may still be models that have the old path stored, and will load those references as they're still technically valid.

The things that Greg mentioned will also need to be considered.

To clarify re: #2, this is what everyone's workstations will look like AFTER the restructure:

Vault Root

|

|---1000 <LOCAL - greyed out folder>

|---2000 <LOCAL - greyed out folder>

|---3000 <LOCAL - greyed out folder>

|---ECO <LOCAL - greyed out folder>

|---Engineering

| |

|

|---Doc Control

| |

| |---ECO

| |---Procedures

| |---Templates

|

|---Manufacturing

|---Procedures <LOCAL - greyed out folder>

|---Templates <LOCAL - greyed out folder>

Greg Rupp

Good Call! I wasn't even thinking of the workstations.

Brian Dalton

I'm glad I posted this question...  There are quite a lot of considerations.

This shows the importance of designing the vault structure as well as possible before implementation, but of course nobody can foresee all contingencies (least of all the whims of management!).

I think I'll back-burner this for a while to give myself the chance to plan the move more carefully.  Once I can report on the amount of time and effort required, the request for re-structuring may simply go away..

Thanks for the great input, everyone!

Tim Webb

Hi Brian,

You have a great idea and I would recommend keeping forward momentum. Avoid tabling, shelving, or back burner-ing this great opportunity.

This is a fantastic project you could definitely "cut in" with a phased approach to your process of ongoing improvement.

I tend to focus on Greg's items 1, 6, & 8 since these are basic daily functions that could derail operations. Consider meeting with all the stakeholders and ensure they are driving this change. There is a higher possibility of securing their buy-in if they believe they can make things better and they won't be vicitims, they are contributors.

You can account for almost every bump in the road but the challenges will definitely test your skills. Pilots are measured by flying through troubled skies. Sailors are measured by how well they weather a storm.

One thing to also keep in your thoughts is to communicate, communicate, communicate. Avoid letting the teams you support feel as though they are being forced to drive a car in the dark or with a blindfold on. Not that you need it but this one simple act could make you the hero.

Hope this helps! Keep us posted.

Tim