2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2015 7:34 AM by Ellie Finch

TROUBLE IMPORTING ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR FILES (AI)

Simon Woodford

HELP!

I AM TRYING TO IMPORT AN (AI) FILE WHICH IS ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR INTO SOLIDWORKS 2012.

BEFORE I HAD ADOBE AN ERROR CAME UP SAYING I NEEDED THE LATEST ADOBE CS6 OR LATER.

WHICH I HAVE NOW DOWNLOADED.

- NOW WHEN I GO INTO SOLDWORKS AND TRY AND OPEN A (AI) FILE IT JUMPS TO ADOBE AND OPENS IT UP THERE, NOT SOLIDWORKS.

-THEN AN ERROR COMES UP IN SOLIDWORKS SAYING 'THE FOLLOWING FILE NAMES WERE INVALID, NOT FOUND, OR OF AN INCOMPATIBLE TYPE'

I HAVE ATTACHED THE ADOBE FILE.

???????

• Re: TROUBLE IMPORTING ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR FILES (AI)
          Justin Burton

Hi,

I tried to open the file and it came through fine. see attached image.

I have CS6 Master collection and SW2013 on 64bit Win 8. Looking at the knowledge base it seems that the issue is to do with 64bit.

Make sure you have both 32bit and 64bit versions of AI on your system so that SW can use that for the conversion.

CS6 Master collection auto installs both versions which is why it opened fine on my machine.

07.PNG

• Re: TROUBLE IMPORTING ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR FILES (AI)
            Ellie Finch

I have this exact same problem. Is there any way to Bump this topic to see if there are any solutions? I think that this must be a check box on one of the two pieces of software that will solve it.

Additionally, I originally only had 64 Bit Illustrator installed and it had the error message that went something along the lines of "You must have CS3 or higher installed" After reading some forums I installed 32 Bit illustrator too and then the problem changed to being the same as the one above.

Does anyone PLEASE have any ideas - I am stumped!!