2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2014 3:50 PM by Kerry Lenort

Part appearance corrupt using part template

Kerry Lenort

I created a part template using some custom appearances. When I eate a new part using the template and alter the part (ie cut a hole in it) I lose the display of the face appearance. It is gone from the feature tree, but states it is there if I right click the face and view face appeaances. I am unable to apply an appearance to this face even if I delete all appearances. I've tried creating the part template using std SW appearances and had the same result. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

• Re: Part appearance corrupt using part template
          Kerry Lenort

Here are some images to better depict the issue. If ya roll back the tree the appearances magically reappear, they even show up in the editor. But haven't been able to find a way of repairing them.

Appearance 1.GIFAppearance 2.GIF

• Re: Part appearance corrupt using part template
              Kerry Lenort

I received the following from SW:

"The root cause of this is that it's very hard for SOLIDWORKS to keep track of face references in a way the user would expect - i.e. when another feature splits a face, the internal reference ID of those faces may change in a way that the user doesn't want, meaning appearances seem to disappear or move to another face.

I strongly recommend the customer doesn't use face level appearances for this type of work. Assigning appearances at part and feature level is much more robust, and you can still achieve the desired results.

Please see attached zip file, specifically NBS2_Birch Bottom.PRTDOT.  The 'internal' plywood edge appearance is applied to the part, and the external plywood face is applied to the first feature - and that's it, there are no face level appearances! Please note the changes to the first two features:

1)      I renamed the first feature to 'StockMaterial' and enlarged the sketch so it was oversize. This is the feature with the plywood face appearance. I made the panel oversize to allow for the next feature. 2)      I created a cut feature 'Cut-Panel' to cut the panel to the correct size. This ensures the edge faces of the panel inherit the part level internal plywood appearance.

Note that I needed to fix some broken references after doing this, but in principle I suggest this is how the customer creates their templates."