13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2013 9:58 AM by Laila H

problem adding orthotropic material

Laila H

hi everyone.. I'm new to solid works ..

I'm having a problem adding a material as linear elastic orthotropic.. I followed the general steps but I always get this message (the following problems with this material were detected: Not all mandatory references have been selected.).. I think it's because I never managed to choose a reference geometry (it's always blocked!!!).. I tried to do it in the simulation part but it was never saved.. would you help me please???

I'm using Solidworks Education Edition 2010 SP4.0

• Re: problem adding orthotropic material
          Laila H

I need your help plzzzzzzz

Laila H

Sorry to insist.. as I said I'm new to SolidWorks..

I need a detailed response from someone who faced the same problem..

Laila H

in solid works help I read this:

To define an orthotropic material:

1. Create a custom material beased on an existing material with similar properties to the orthotropic material you want to create.
              2. On the Properties tab of the Material dialog box, select Linear Elastic Orthotropic in Model Type.
              3. From the FeatureManager design tree, select the reference geometry to define the orthotropic material directions.The selected reference geometry appears in the Reference geometry box.
              4. Enter the values of the material properties.
              5. Click Apply and Close.

first: I don't have a library with orthotropic material.. does anyone have?

second: it's not possible to select a refernce geometry

Justin Strempke

Laina,

There are no materials with orthotropic properties, the Help was simply stating to choose a 'close' material to copy/paste for your new material.  You add in all your properties, then save/exit, without applying the material (or just applying it in Linear Elastic Isotropic for reference).

As for the reference geometry, you cannot assign this from the Modeling window.  You do this from the Simulation window.  In the Simulation Feature tree, you can Right-click select you part and 'Apply/Edit Material'.  Then you choose your material, selecting the Linear Elastic Ortho from the drop-down, then select you reference (it will work this time, I promise ).  As Bill mentioned, you may need to use a Reference CSYS instead of a plane.  You do this from the Modeling window, selecting "Coordinate System" from the Reference Geometry list.  Then choose your origin, and your orientation based on your model directions.  This will be important based on your material definition, so align them as necessary.

Hope this helps!

Laila H

Thank you so much Justin.. I was finally able to save my material.. but I wasn't able to apply it on the solid!!!!!

when I open the simulation part and try to use (edit material) that appears in the design tree I have the same issue of the blocked reference geometry box.. but when I use the (apply material) in the simulation command manager, I'm able to define the reference geometry and apply the material.. ok I did that and at that moment I thought that I managed to apply it since I didn't get error message.. but when I ran the simulation I got the message (Material is not defined) !!!!!!!!!!!

Justin Strempke

I'm sure you're in the right place, but here's where you'd apply the material:

Ortho matl.jpg

And yes, you can save your ortho material from the Model window or standard Feature Design tree but you have to enter your Ortho properties, then revert the drop-down list to Linear Elastic Isotropic before you save.  Then as mentioned, you add you material in Simulation tree, choosing Linear Elastic Ortho, then picking your reference CSYS.  Hit Apply, and it should work...  Sounds like you did all that, so be sure if you have a multi-body part or an assembly you apply material to all parts.