AnsweredAssumed Answered

imported part file size

Question asked by Luke Barreto on Jan 29, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 31, 2013 by Jerry Steiger

Hello,

I, like many other SW users use files sent to me by suppliers and other manufacturer in my assemblies, typically engines, hydraulic pumps/hydrostats and other parts. I usually receive the files in STP format and save them as a part file .sldprt. These files are usually faces-only parts but there are many faces, making the file size quite large (20-60mb). When I have two or three of these files in my assemblies, it slows down my system quite a bit. I typically end up suppressing the files to make viewing and rotating speed up.

I'm looking for a way to compress or reduce the file size to keep my program running faster without having to suppress the parts. I have tried reducing the image quality and that doesn't seem to help much. Changing the view to shaded without edges help quite a bit but then makes the assembly look like a blob. I have also tried setting the files as lightweight, but that doesn't seem to help much either. Is there a way to remove the edges from individual parts without removing the edges from all the parts? Or a way to compress the files to a more usable size?

My appologies if this has been covered before, I have searched many different forums looking for a solution to this issue.

For reference my system is a macbook pro running windows 7 from bootcamp

i7 processor at 2.2GHz

8gb of ram

ATI Radeon HD 6600M 1gb

Outcomes