2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2013 5:48 PM by Benn Simms

Surface facets when machining in mastercam

Benn Simms

Hi Guys,

I have a issue with surface machining. When I generate a circular hole then 3d machine it (due to the connecting surfaces) we are getting a very faceted finish. We have re generated the surface in mastercam and cut it and it performs fine as normal. I export the files from solidworks 2013 (or 2012) as a parasolid .xb file which imports faultlessly into mastercam X6. What is strange is is a tapered surface doesnt have this issue?

Is it possible to change the surface tolerance that is exported by solidworks? Mastercam machining tollerance is set to 0.005

We have been using Mastercam for many years and have had issues before from other cad systems but the problem was uniform and a phone call to the designer would usually resolve the issue.

Kind Regards

Benn 

• Re: Surface facets when machining in mastercam
          Matt Wallace

If you are saying your total tolerance on the toolpath is 0.005 inch, that is way too loose.  Tighten it up to something like 0.0001.  If your machine chokes on the code, many of the toolpaths can be filtered down.

If you can, post up the SW file and the parasolid file.  You could also put both files in an assembly and compare them.

• Re: Surface facets when machining in mastercam
              Benn Simms

Hi Matt thanks for taking the time to respond. The 0.005 is metric sorry I should have said. We are injection mould makers and have been manufacturing with mastercam for over 15 years now. This is a problem that has recently come up since I moved the design of the tooling on to solidworks, nearly all our tooling will have a draft angle of some sort which will not have any problems but recently we have made a few tools that have round sections which cannot have any draft angle for design reasons. This is where the problem has shown up. I will try comparing the two files to see what happens thanks for the tip. Also I'm new here so ill look at uploading the file to the server.

Kind regards

Benn