9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 6:45 PM by Artem Taturevych

Select plane from Transform

Oleg Bezyaev

If I have an array swXform.ArrayData how can I select a plane? Ie, do the opposite - to the existing array (for example string[]), select the plane.

UPD: I do not know the name of the plane in advance.

• Re: Select plane from Transform
          Keith Rice

Oleg,

If I am understanding you correctly: for whatever reason, you already have the transform array data but now you want the plane selected that has that array data? Why not just traverse all reference planes, getting their array data, and then compare that array data to the array data you already have?

Keith

Video Tutorials for the SolidWorks API

Oleg Bezyaev

Yes, you understand me correctly. But it may have a direct way (like SelectByID), without iterate over all the planes.

Keith Rice

IModelDocExtension::SelectByID2 can be unreliable if you don't know the name of the feature. Anyway if that's all you want to do then here's that VBA example modified to reselect the plane afterward based purely on the array data describing translation:

========

Sub main()

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc2

Dim swSelMgr As SldWorks.SelectionMgr

Dim swFeat As SldWorks.Feature

Dim swRefPlane As SldWorks.RefPlane

Dim swXform As SldWorks.MathTransform

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set swSelMgr = swModel.SelectionManager

Set swFeat = swSelMgr.GetSelectedObject5(1)

Set swRefPlane = swFeat.GetSpecificFeature2

Set swXform = swRefPlane.Transform

Debug.Print "    Origin = (" & -1# * swXform.ArrayData(9) * 1000# & ", " & -1# * swXform.ArrayData(10) * 1000# & ", " & -1# * swXform.ArrayData(11) * 1000# & ") mm"

Debug.Print "    Rot1   = (" & swXform.ArrayData(0) & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(1) & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(2) & ")"

Debug.Print "    Rot2   = (" & swXform.ArrayData(3) & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(4) & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(5) & ")"

Debug.Print "    Rot3   = (" & swXform.ArrayData(6) & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(7) & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(8) & ")"

Debug.Print "    Trans  = (" & swXform.ArrayData(9) * 1000# & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(10) * 1000# & ", " & swXform.ArrayData(11) * 1000# & ") mm"

Debug.Print ""

swModel.ClearSelection2 True

Stop

swModel.Extension.SelectByID2 Empty, "PLANE", swXform.ArrayData(9), swXform.ArrayData(10), swXform.ArrayData(11), False, 0, Nothing, 0

End Sub

========

Keith

Video Tutorials for the SolidWorks API

Oleg Bezyaev

Workaround.

Thank you.

Artem Taturevych

Hi Oleg,

You may also try ModelDoc2::SelectByRay because it gives you the ability to specify the direction. Having your transform you may find the plane normal which will be your direction and the closest point to plane (the point(may be transform translation point) which is moved a bit in direction of normal).

This may produce quite accurate results but I cannot be very confident. This method is never been in the scope of my use - just for testing and learning purposes. 

Regards,

Artem Taturevych

Application Engineer at Intercad

http://intercad.com.au/

Tel: +61 2 9454 4444