12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 9:17 PM by Ryan Hader

how to add a linked part / assembly to an EXISTING BOM??

Ryan Hader

Hey Guys,

I have a drawing in which I have an existing BOM that already contains sorted data etc. that I want to keep. without starting from scratch...

Now I have a new Assembly that I simply want to add to that existing BOM - this new assembly I would like to liink to the old BOM...  and jwith that the parts as well... I am assuming that I will repeat for both the assembly as well as the parts?

All help greatly appreciated!!

Cheers.

• Re: how to add a linked part / assembly to an EXISTING BOM??
          Glenn Schroeder

I'm not real clear on what you're trying to accomplish.  If you want to keep the existing BOM, but add new rows to it, then you'll need to add the new components to the assembly that's referenced by the BOM.  If you want a new BOM with all the same columns and/or custom properties as the existing BOM then you need to save that BOM as a BOM template (.sldbomtbt) and use it when you insert a new BOM referencing the new assembly.

Ryan Hader

Sorry - I am trying to keep the existing BOM and essentially add new rows  - which is simple - BUT I would like to add a link to the new added rows as oppose to editing everything manually - it does not appear to want to do this unless I create an entirely new BOM within the drawing... ??

does that help?

Glenn Schroeder

I'm afraid I'm still confused, but that's not unusual.  So you want to add new rows to your existing BOM.  Are you just adding blank rows and filling in the info manually, or are you adding components to your assembly to get the additional rows?  If you are adding components to the assembly then any custom properties belonging to these components should automatically populate in the updated BOM.  If you're adding blank rows to your BOM then I'm pretty sure you'll need to manually add all the information for the new rows.  (You can click on a cell, Ctrl+C, click on an empty cell, and Ctrl+V if that will help.)

If this doesn't answer your question then please explain more what you mean by linking added rows.

Ryan Hader

sorry for the confusion - but thx for trying!

I will explain further....

I have an assembly in which has a drawing at a Revision level - I have made some revisions to the overall assembly of that product. Now in order to update the drawing without losing all of the current BOM linked parts - i.e. all the parts currently within the BOM have links to the file path etc as well as Balloon annotation within the drawing which I am simply trying to avoid re-doing...  However at the same time I would like to add these 'new' assemblies / parts to the BOM...  and be able to maintain that link that the original BOM arleady has contained with the other parts / assemblies that are called up.

I should also note that this Assembly now becomes the main Assembly which overrides the previous revision. All of teh details remain the same - however there are more of them which is a NEW file name.... by hitting 'Save As; to the previous revision and making all the changes to the new filename with new revision so as to maintain the previous revision history...

There must be a way of doing this?? Otherwise you would have to create a new drawing and new BOM for every drawing revision that did when you add new parts to an existing Assembly....? Perhaps the attached image explains it better below.

2013-01-25_143200.jpg

Frank Hewes

If I am following you question correctly, you will want to have both the original drawing and assembly open in Solid Works.  Then do a "Save As" on the drawing to make a copy of the print with the new name (make sure "save as copy" is NOT checked).  Now that you have the new drawing, switch over to the assembly and do the same thing.  If you did it right you can add your new components to the assembly and it will update the new print without losing any of the old work.

Up dateing the assembly will only update the BOM if it was entered as a BOM originally.

My personal preference though would be to revise the existing assembly and print simply by adding the new components, then marking the new items with ballons on the print.  The Vault system that comes with Solid Works will keep track of the revisions when you check the assembly in, if it was installed and set up properly.

Glenn Schroeder

I don't think I can be of any more help.  The way I handle revisions (and I may be the only person in the world who does it this way) is to Pack and Go the drawing to a new folder, then make my changes to the new assembly and drawing while leaving the original / previous one unaltered.

I've had bad luck in the past with Save as... so that's why I use the above method.

Ryan Hader

That sounds like a good way of doing it actually... I may have to start doing that....

Now maybe my question should be more along the lines of

'how do I CORRECTLY set up a BOM so that it updates and is linked to the balloon numbers as well as to the model??'

Frank Hewes

First make an assembly with a couple of parts in it, then make a drawing from it.  In the drawing, go to the insert pull down menu and select the "Tables" fly-out then click "Bill of Materials".  Make the selections that you feel are right for your BOM (you can come back and change them later if you need to).  Once the BOM is on the drawing select one of the three types of balloons (Balloon, Stacked Balloon, or Auto Balloon), and under balloon settings set balloon text to "Item Number".  Auto balloon with attach a balloon to all visible BOM line items currently in your assembly that do not already have balloons, the other balloon types you will have to place manually. Now go back to the assembly and add a couple more items.  When you switch back to the drawing you will see that the BOM has updated.  You will need to add the new balloons though.  If you add multiple instances of the same part, the quantity field also updates automatically.

To see that the balloons are linked to the BOM you can change a balloon number (just double click and change it right in the drawing field), or drag items up or down in the BOM.  This may not work right if you selected "Follow assembly order", and will not work if you selected "Do not change item numbers" in BOM properties.

Frank Hewes

Pack and go does do the trick, but you can end up with a lot of duplicate files.

Ryan Hader

So the consensus is that in order to add linked BOMs you would have to insert a completely new BOM based on an assembly inserted into the drawing?

thx Frank - I did go through that process - and it helps - but I am trying to combine a couple assemblies into a single drawing - an 'Install' drawing of sorts that includes several assemblies into one drawing. I was hoping to tie the BOM's in together in such away that I coudl configure it once and have everything update and linked together... otherwise all changes woudl need to be done manually.

The method as suggested above indicates that you would only be able to create a BOM with linked attributes that populated correctly ONLY IF the trace path of the assembly was done in the same manner.

In this case I have an end assembly which does not have a file  / assembly SW document to create the BOM attributes so I was trying to apply those attributes somewhat manually.

Scott Watkins

Capture.JPG

Ryan,

right click on line the the part in [  ]'s and disolve it.