29 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2014 5:52 PM by D. S

2013 glitches

Ted Kw

Is anybody else finding solidworks 2013 to be a glitch filled, annoying piece of garbage?

• Re: 2013 glitches
          Mark Kaiser

Nope.

Peter Farnham

Can you name some of these glitches?

I can start with:-

1,  The Inch zero in dual measurement shows as 0.000 but the metric shows as 0, when precision set to .123, When metric is the primary template setting.

This shows that all testing was done in Imperial or by a visually challenged person.

No get around found yet, just looks stupid.

2, Export as CVS file does not work in Pdmworks anymore, it always has before, again not tested.

Get round by export as text file and insert into excel sheet.

3, Hover over a part in an assembly in Pdmworks does not show the part id anymore, ditto as above.

Get around by using Solidworks explorer to show part id, slows down my work.

4, Table colors coming in grey after template updated, but comes in black on a new drawing using the same template.

(No layers being used, just the default which is "None")

Get around by manually changing the table's color.

I will add more, when I get to remember them :-)

Dwight Livingston

Peter Farnham wrote:

1,  The Inch zero in dual measurement shows as 0.000 but the metric shows as 0, when precision set to .123, When metric is the primary template setting.

This shows that all testing was done in Imperial or by a visually challenged person.

No get around found yet, just looks stupid.

That is the correct ASME format for the metric value, where trailing zeros should not be shown. I am surprised they include a leading zero for the inch value, where they should not appear.

Dwight

John Burrill

No.  I think 2013 had the best SP0 of any release going back to 2001 plus.

-and are you sure the problem isn't your drafting standard being based on ISO settings or your document settings not being configured correctly?

trailing_zeros.PNG

Craig Hardman

I wish they would focus on making their existing program more stable vs adding more feature.
                  How long has SW had issues with mates reversing, mate suppressing randomly, display states changing, fantom rebuild errors, etc.
                  I could care less if the SW package comes with a few extra features when the ones that already exist still have huge problems.
                  Am I the only one who think this way? I can't be, I just can't. Lol.

That being said, it's no worse then any other software SP0 release if you ignore the fact that they haven't fixed linguring problems through multiple major releases.

Ever seen Microsoft release something SP0? Lol.

Peter Farnham

Windows Vista! lol

I think they should employ "real" workers with a "real" work flow to do the testing.

Though I enjoy finding the bugs and then finding a work around, I do not like finding them when I am trying to get a product out to manufacture to a tight time scale.

Now before some noddy says anything, I do not do complicated things like surfacing, simulation, rendering or even motion studies unless I really have to. I am talking about basic engineering modeling together with sheet metal. Now if I get these errors, I feel really sorry for the people who use the more advanced aspects of the program on a daily basis.

BUT I  do like using Solidworks and as my big boss says, it is constuctive criticism, not destructive criticism, that I aim to get across.

Craig Hardman

I'm pretty much the same way. I have not had the need to use simulation, surfacing, etc yet.
                          I use weldment, routing, and your basic modeling features. Fell REAL bad for the people that do use there. Just keeping my assemblies from blowing apart or getting all messed up because of weird mate behavior is hard enough, Let along getting that assembly to do something else.
                          I has the misfortune of having to use the SW motion simulation once to create a short movie.... Not fun.

Completely unrelated, has anyone noticed the text window for the quick reply doing strange things?
                          Occassionally moving the cursor to the middle of a sentence. This is annoying as can be.
                          Firefox has a built in spell check that doesn't work in this window, etc.
                          Or is this just me? Lol.

Ted Kw

Thanks Craig and Peter, you guys feel my pain.  At least I know I'm not the only one.  I would love for Solidworks to come out with a release with absolutely no new features.  Just make everything work properly.

Greg Hynd

No. I find it the most stable yet.

Marco Gigante

Hi there, lately I faced many problems with solidworks too but I still don't know if it's glitches matter or my mistake. I just want to understand if it's my ignorance or are really annoying bugs that could bring me to switch to Autodesk Inventor.

Here an example:

Mirror errors on sketches:

take1.JPG

Here we have a sketch and I got to mirror two curves to close the polyline

take2.JPG

I run the command mirror, I got the perfect preview, seams everything is fine because the entire sketch is simmetric

take3.JPG

failure! .. Why? bug or my error?

If someone guess it please let me know! thanks!!

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Marco,

Mirroring automatically adds relationships between the original sketch entities and the entities you mirrored from. Since the whole set of relations in the sketch works as a mathematical system, depending on the other dimensions and constraints in the system, there may be redundancy or conflicts. SOLIDWORKS will not automatically delete redundancy or conflicts because it doesn't know what your intent is. Since you have not posted the part, I can only guess by what I see in the screenshot. My guess is that the conflict/redundancy is related to the equal relationship on the vertical line just below the arcs you measured and perhaps the 40 degree angle dimension below that. Try making the 40 degree dimension driven or delete it to see if that helps. There may be other redundancies I can't readily see. To avoid conflicts and redundancies, when building symmetry, it is often best to use mirror to build the full symmetry rather than having some items using mirror and some using direction relations and dimensions that you have added yourself.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Marco Gigante

Hi Jim!

You are right! the problem is that when I mirror the two curves it create a simmetric relation between the two vertical lines at the extreme left and right... this make one of the two angle dimension (40 degree) more than necessary!

Thanks a lot!!! that was 100% my mistake!

Marco

Marco Gigante

Another one:

Sketch relations unmodifiable

I created a line that has one extreme connected to the center of a curvature (coincidence relation). First problem I don't see the relation icon. As you can see the extreme left of the line is blue and the extreme right doesn't have the classic black point.

take4.JPG

I try to move the line right edge but I can not. I do Right clic on it to see the relation but on the left windows there are no relation displayed. No relations but I can't move it

take5.JPG

Glitch or mistake?
                                  thanks!

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Marco,

When two points become coincident inside a sketch, they actually merge together; it is not handled in the same way as coincident relationships work between a point inside a sketch to a point outside a sketch or from a point inside a sketch to some random location along the length of a line or other sketch entity. This is why when you draw a rectangle, you don't see coincident relations at all 4 corners of the rectangle...there is actually just one point at each line endpoint shared between the two lines. There are many benefits to this approach, but also the one downside that you mention here where you can't just drag them away from one another (if SOLIDWORKS allowed that under normal conditions, a rectangle would pull apart when just trying to drag one side of it). If you want to pull entities apart that have points merged, you need to use the Detach Segment on Drag option as documented here:

http://help.solidworks.com/2014/English/solidworks/sldworks/t_using_detach_segment_on_drag.htm

I hope this helps,

Jim

Marco Gigante

Another one:

No possible relation between sketches and external planes on complex drawings

A common feature is make relation between sketches and external planes or surfaces. Really usefull and unfortunatelly effective only on easy drawing as far as I experienced. Here an example:

I got a sketch on plan 25 and wanted to prosecute a line untill the congiunction point with plan 24

take6.JPG

I selected one edge of the line and plane 24 while pressing control, and solidworks didn't allowed me to make any relation

take7.JPG

Why? plane 24 and 25 for sure intersecate!... I don't understand

Glitch or mistake?

Please let me know! thanks in advice!
                                      Marco

Kelvin Lamport

Are you able to post the part for a closer look & testing on other machines?

John Burrill

You can only relate you sketch to plane 24 if plane 24 is perpendicular to the sketch.

In this case, you're choices are either to create an axis at the intersection of the two planes and relate your sketch to that or to create the sketch as a 3D sketch and apply a onplane relation between the line and plane25 and a coincident relation between the endpoint of the line and plane 24.

It would make a good enhancement request to allow solidworks to generate an intersection curve between the sketch plane and a reference plane, like you can between the sketch plane and a face that passes through it.

Are you from a ProE backgound?

Marco Gigante

Hallo Kelvin and John!

Yes, tha's right! the two plans are not perpendicular one each other.. I thought was no difference between planes and surfaces when I have to make relations. Actually is pretty strange solidworks don't allow this feature.

No, never worked with ProE.

Thanks a lot!!

Marco

Bill Stadler

We skipped 2013 and are now on 2014 SP2.

Multibody sheetmetal and flat views in drawings seem be really buggy in 2014 since all the flat patterns moved under one folder...

Bill Stadler

I should have echoed the mating stuff as well.  Mates have always plagued us throughout the years and 2014 is not much different.  Mating schemes are not cut and dry as well as error reporting is flaky at best.  open one time errors, close it, open again no errors, Ctrl Q  errors go  away, Ctrl Q and they may come back or may not.  Some times it is worse with lightweights and others it is better.

Please do not get me wrong,  I started on SW96 and have been supporting for over 17 years so if I did not like it I would not be here typing.  But flaky mates along with mating best practices have been the root of many headaches over the years....

D. S

Nothing but glitches and wierd anomalies ... SW2013 SP5

Graphic issues from day 1 and random, not reproducible, SW functioality issues throughout

Tell your boss, repeatedly, that support wants/needs to modify/reinstall SW, yet again ... x7

Crazy waste of my time ... Every change created a new set of issues ...

Not a fan SW2013 to say there very least, been a user since SW1999