3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 11:09 PM by monika kodikara

Showing dimensions in eDrawings: not measuring

Tom Stypula

We are discussing ways to create electronic versions of drawings that we could use for fabrication in our shops.  This would require showing dimensions of parts and assemblies for a fabricator that they could access at their computer workstation.  eDrawings naturally came to mind.  One of our requirements would be that the 3D part or assembly in eDrawings would show certain default dimensions so that the fabricator would not have to "measure" the part or assembly.  I know that a person can show reference annotation dimensions in SolidWorks but when I show these in SolidWorks and save it as an eDrawings file the dimensions do not show in eDrawings.

Do you know of a way to show user selected dimensions in a 3D eDrawings file?

• Re: Showing dimensions in eDrawings: not measuring
          monika kodikara

Hello Tom

Well. Your idea is good. I can explain you the way.

1. open eDrawing file.

2. click on mark up

3. use dimension tab there to show whatever the dimensions you need.

4. Save it is and send to the fabricator. He can see the the edrawing without dimension. But the dimensions you assigned is temporarily hidden. He can see them by just clicking on the mark up comments appeared in the left side of the widow. (see the figure)

Hope this will work for you.

E drawing Dimension markup.png

• Re: Showing dimensions in eDrawings: not measuring
              Tom Stypula

The issue for us is that we auto export drawings using Enterprise PDM because we have thousands of configurations of various parts/assemblies so it is unrealistic for us to create all of the eDrawings files and then open them one-by-one and add mark-ups to each file.  If there is a way to make mark-ups show from SW so that they can be applied to each configuration before exporting that would be ideal.