7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 9:35 AM by Matthew Turner

Eyestrain and fatigue using Solidworks 2013 because far too small font sizes high res. monitor 2

Richard Wagenaar

Here are some more photos

On a 27" monitor at 2560x1440 at a usual 70 cm distance the font size is far too

small and unhealthy to look at the whole day according to my doc.

Do more people have problems with this?

What to do about it?

I understand Solidworks is almost end of life, so problems could never be fixed.

I stopped using Solidworks 2013 because of the small font problems. I can use an old low

resolution monitor but that is a big step backwards, I don't know if the new features in SW2013

are worth it. Solidworks should be usable on a modern high resolution monitor.

Currently there are a lot of popular 27" IPS monitors with a resolution of

2560x1440 which also have analog (no PWM) backlight for very attractive

prices. These monitors have no flicker and are the new standard for CAD work.

They often have a LG IPS panel inside but Samsung also has a non PWM kind

of IPS panel lately.

These monitors have a dot pitch of about 0.22 mm. These monitors

are very good for your eyes because there is no flicker.  There are several

brands like HP, Samsung, LG and others offering these modern high quality

monitors for only about 700 dollars.

It is well know that Led monitors with PWM (=flicker) backlight cause eyestrain,

fatigue and even more serious problems like headache etc. You can check it

by moving a black pen on a white background, when there is PWM you will

see a stroboscopic effect.

There are many reports about this lately,  so be sure you don't use

such a monitor the whole day as your eyes will get damage sooner or later.

I use a Samsung and a HP and these are fantastic monitors, I didn't have any

problems working with it 16 hours a day.

But this has all changed since upgrading to Solidworks 2013 because of the

far too small font sizes and icon sizes in the most used editors

• Re: Eyestrain and fatigue using Solidworks 2013 because far too small font sizes high res. monitor 2
          Lenny Bucholz

in windows 7 in control panel you can make your font bigger.make font bigger.png

• Re: Eyestrain and fatigue using Solidworks 2013 because far too small font sizes high res. monitor 2
              Richard Wagenaar

Thanks for you message but this is no solution anymore,  it messes up the

dimension input  dialog box in 2013/W8.

You can see this here https://forum.solidworks.com/message/338191#338191

You cant see/edit your dimensions anymore in that case.

This is scaling and scaling is never a good alternative when it needs to

be between 160-200%. It will mess up other programs too.

Apart from that when scaling the windows title bars get much bigger leaving

less Solidworks usable cad area.

The problem is that the fonts in the property managers and the dimension

input box should take over the Windows fonts. These fonts are too small

whatever size you set in Windows, even if you set font sizes to 30

then these fonts are still 1.5 mm on the display. If you set font size to 30 then

the font height is 5 mm on the left side and 1.5 mm on the right side in 

the option menu.

So this just seems like a bug. If Solidworks just changes all the fonts like on the left

side of the option menu then all problems are fixed with a high res. monitor.

Then you dont need to scale anymore which is saving a lot of other problems.

If you look at the message in the link you will see that in the option menu

the left side takes over the windows font and the right side does not.

So Solidworks seems to randomly take over the windows fonts but the

bad thing is that Solidworks sets the most used fonts

(prop. manager,  dimension input box) far too small and you cant adjust this.

Another problem is that scaling does not change the size of the small

pop up icons so scaling is not a solution here anyway. I did not find a way

to increase the size of the small pop up icons.

Lenny Bucholz

Have you tried this with a Windows 7 and SW2013 to see if it is Win8 causing the issue?

Sometimes it is Windows that causes some of the issues also not just SW.??

without having a 27" monitor like you I cannot mimick your issue, just trying to solve it.

buy the way what is your graphics card?

how does SW 2012 look at that resolutions??

Message was edited by: Lenny Bucholz

Richard Wagenaar

Yes I have tried it on W7 on a Dell aspire 17" notebook

The problems with scalings are less than on W8. I did

not check at what max scaling the dimension edit menu

messed up but it was at a higher scale level than W8.

But scaling is and will always be a workaround causing

other problems and loss of effective cad area.

We shouldn't need to scale so much  only because

Solidworks randomly takes over the Windows fonts settings.

There are now 10" tablets that have 2560x1440 resolution.

The dotpitch of that is almost 3 times smaller than my monitor

which is already causing me eyestrain problems in Solidworks.

The problem is Solidworks and scaling is just a bad workaround.

There will be a time that with modern high resolution screens

also the best eyes can't see the fonts anymore. Sooner or

later it needs to be fixed.

I test with Nvidia 2000 quadro and ATI FirePro 4900.  The Firepro

is softer for my eyes as it has more controll, especially color temperature

which Nvidia drivers  don't have. The latest ATI drivers are fine.

I can upload the SW 2013 performance test if you like.

Roland Schwarz

This is a subject near and dear to my heart.  I have spent no small amount of time and money to tackle eye strain.

#1 in my arsenal is the right pair of glasses.  Not just any glasses.  I get a special exam and prescription (PRIO or equivalent) that measures resting focus of the eyes and makes it so that what is 15" in front of me is in focus when eyes are at resting focus.  This eliminated the blinding headaches.

Change font and resolution to what best suits you.  If you pick a resolution that is too fine, then the fonts are reduced.  Also, max out the frequency.  Higher frequency = less flicker.  This is more dependent on you graphics card than your monitor.

Richard Wagenaar

Hello Roland,

I have had my eyes examined and have proper glasses for 28"

distance as this is the correct distance for a 27" monitor.

My doc says that the font sizes should be at least two times

bigger at 100% scaling on this high res. monitor to prevent

from problems.

You typed:

Change font and resolution to what best suits you.

Problem is that Solidworks does not take over the font size of

Windows so there is nothing that can be done.

The resolution should always be the hardware resolution of the monitor,

this will have a best picture.

I could buy a 27"monitor at 1920x1200 to work around the problems but

all the 27"monitors at 2560x1440 (Dell, HP, Samsung, Apple) have analog backlight

which is the most important to prevent eyestrain. This is a new generation of

screens that have fixed the PWM problems that cause eyestrain.

All these 27"monitors don't have any PWM at all when there is a

LG panel inside and apart from Samsung they are all LG inside.

But also Samsung has fixed the PWM problem. So it seems that the

modern generation of 27" Led monitors has fixed the problem.

I want this high resolution, it needs less zooms, it works faster

and it gets you less tired.

With LCD you don't speak of frequency,  there is only PWM

that causes problems.

And PWM is only depending on your monitor.

If you have or still not have eye problems then start with a non

PWM monitor.

I think there should be big warnings about health risks on

monitors still using PWM for brightness controll. If you read

the next links you understand why.

Please read this

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/63964?tstart=0

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm

http://vasyafromukraine.webs.com/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1677617?start=0&tstart=0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20-NEgXUk5o

In every latest high end monitor test at www.tftcentral.co.uk and also at

www.prad.de they test for PWM.

But the best monitor cannot prevent from eyestrain if fonts are too smal

and cannot be increased in size. Only Solidworks can fix the small font

and eyestrain problems with high resolution monitors.

Matthew Turner

I completely agree. I use a Dell 2410 24" flat panel monitor, and the fonts are very small within the entire user interface. It would be nice to be able to change the size of those for people who do not like to squint. Funny thing, I am watching a training video on solidworks 2013, and the fonts are huge..

Like trying to read a motherboard.