43 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2013 5:28 PM by Bill Stadler

The Future of Solidworks

Scott Baugh

I have been a Looooong time Solidworks user and a committed follower (and I still am). I was told many years ago to never base my career on a single CAD package. However I did, and each job I changed too always had Solidworks there since its release in 1995. Now we sit on the edge of change yet again. Over the last 2 years we have been getting pieces of how Solidworks and Dassault Systems are going to be blended together. For large companies like ours these kinds of changes are serious concerns.

Yesterday a colleague and I met with some people... no details other than one of them was an ex-Dassault Systems employee and worked with the company up until the beginning of 2012. What was explained to us is what claims are going to happen with Solidworks in the coming years. Hearing this gave us some serious concerns. Over the past couple of years we have been getting a little more info each year about what is coming, but never the entire story, just bits and pieces.

PLM:

There was the mention of how Catia works in the new Enovia environment. Enovia creates a Dynamic file for users to work on much like the Cloud, however the file is not really a tangible file like all of us work with currently. An Enovia still act like Vault , but it’s not a Vault at all. It’s more of Database that resides in a Cloud environment, and each company pays for access to this sort of environment to gain access to this Enovia Cloud. I know Solidworks is not Enovia, but this type of environment is not compatible with EPDM or PDMWorks and the comment was that EPDM and PDMWorks would have to be discontinued products and force everyone into the Clouded Enovia package. But there lies another problem... SolidWorks is not compatible to this sort of environment, at least not yet.

Solidworks:

I was told by Jeff Ray on the Midway last year that they paid for 99 years to use of the Siemens Parasolid Kernel and we had nothing to worry about, but there was a change that was coming in the next 5-7 years.

What we were told yesterday was that Siemens is requesting their Parasolid Kernel back and is going to be kicking Solidworks off the Kernel and they have to find a different one. Catia has their own Kernel, so that is where the Catia\Solidworks version is supposed to take place. Siemens is also supposed to start making adjustments to start targeting Solidworks companies.

Jeff Ray also made the comment that once the new version were to be released then Solidworks would have 2 products running at the same time... the new "V6 Solidworks" version and the normal SW version we are used to today. There would be enhancements in new version of V6\Solidworks, which you just cannot get with the original Solidworks version. Once a company made the conversion there was no coming back. Then over a period of a few years companies would be forced into the new V6 Solidworks.

During our meeting yesterday this person said the conversion process in Catia is never easy, very cumbersome & quite expensive. If any of this is true and everyone keeps getting the comment from Solidworks on "Trust us on this, it will be fine" gives me more concern than comfort.

My Assessment:

The ability to have 2 lines running at the same time and then forcing everyone over to V6 version of Solidworks doesn't sound like the ship I join 17 years ago. To add to that the blending of SW and Catia and the possibility of Siemens pulling the rights for SW to use that Kernel is a tad scary for any large companies that have invested into Solidworks and EPDM (such as our company).

Of course everything this person told us could all be Smoke for their own personal agenda, but I believe most everything people says at least starts out with some truth, how much of that is BS and what is truth remains to be seen, but I would like to know from Solidworks what is really going on. I think all people including large companies that are paying everyone's Salary should have some rights to know where the Future of Solidworks is heading. The Comment of "Trust us" is running out of gas and we as customers need to know what we need to do to protect our business.

During our meeting yesterday this person said the conversion process in Catia is never easy, very cumbersome & quite expensive. If any of this is true and everyone keeps getting the comment from Solidworks on "Trust us on this, it will be fine" gives me more concern than comfort.

My Quesiton is what is the Future of Solidworks?

Best Regards,

Scott

• Re: The Future of Solidworks
          Mark Kaiser

I'm just small potatoes, we have a whole 2 seats of SW, but if SW does not let us have our own files, onsite, disconnected from any sort of Cloud, we'll be doing something different. I imagine we'll coast on our current version of SW for a while, then join a different ship.  No Cloud for us.  And if conversion from SW now to Catia-SW V-whatever is bogus, that's just one more reason to join a different ship, even if we're allowed to stay disconnected from the Cloud.

John Robert Burrill

Yeah, once a year, every year, I see something like this.

Here are some things I do know.  Solidworks paid a lot of money for the programs that became EPDM, 3DVia Composer, Electrical and Plastics and none of those formats support Catia V6 and they've heavily these verticals in their marketing and sales.  What I haven't seen are aggressive V6 awareness campaigns aimed at small and medium sized businesses.  We'll know in a couple of days if there's going to be any movement on this V6 thing in the near term, but for now I see a company trying to keep it's customers invested in its mainstream technology.

Glenn Schroeder

I agree with Mark.  A big chunk of our work involves either intellectual property or national security projects, and I don't care what reassurances we get from SW I'm not going to our clients and tell them that their stuff will be out there in the cloud.  If the SW folks are really going to push customers to the cloud, then I guess we'll also stay with our current version as long as we can and then look at other options.

On the other hand, I have seen some stuff from the folks at SW who say that the people who are using the current set-up will be able do so indefinitely, so hopefully that's true.

I don't plan to lose any sleep over it either way.

Peter Farnham

I'm very suprised that a Solidworks representative has not be quick to poo poo this post or anything contained in it!

I have noticed that Pdmworks has been broken, export as csv files does not work, nor does the part identification when you hover your mouse pointer over a part in an assembly using document information. These have never been an issue before so why now?

These both used to work in 2012, ( go to Solidworks explorer and hover your mouse over a part in an assembly to see what the last comment is about).

The conspiracy theory intuition in me says that this may be on purpose, lol

Too many things are broken in 2013 to be "normal".

So now is Solidworks moment to explain in full, regarding what is happening now and what is going to happen in the future.

We are not mushrooms so stop feeding us "!* and turn the lights on.

We thank you!

Jeff Holliday

Like Glenn, I am not going to lose sleep over anything that nobody seems to have a concise idea about. I can see both views as having validity but nothing that proves anything either way. The idea of "cloud" storage is bothersome to me because it seems to take away control. If SWorks is being moved toward Catia and if Catia is going to use the cloud - how do the existing Catia customers (which need to be high income and large) reconcile losing control?

Vajrang Parvate

"we were told yesterday that Siemens is requesting their Parasolid Kernel back and is going to be kicking Solidworks off the Kernel and they have to find a different one. "

There is no truth behind this claim. Someone is feeding you FUD, I'm afraid.

Vajrang Parvate

Director,

SolidWorks Product Development

Peter Farnham

Thank you Vajrang,

That's all we are asking for, some sort of response from solidworks regarding these claims.

Now how about some response concerning the "cloud" issue, Pdmworks fixes and Pdmwork's future?

Regards

Pete

Vajrang Parvate

Let me try and answer that in a slightly different way: we invested several man-years in changing some of the core components of the SolidWorks source code in SW2013 - the compiler, the VBA engine that drives macros and equations, the .NET version we run on, support for Windows 8... to name just a few. This was done across the product line - Core SolidWorks, Simulation, eDrawings, Routing, CircuitWorks, etc. and we are continuing to do those kind of long-term investments in the SolidWorks source code. SW2014 development is going on right now and our Product Definition and Product Management teams have begun initial planning for SW2015.

I hope this says something about the longevity and the future of the products from SolidWorks you know and use today. Bottom line: They are not going away.

I don't know the specifics of the issues you are seeing in Workgroup PDM. If you post the SPR numbers you got from your reseller when you reported the problems, I'll look them up. There is absolutely no truth in the notion that we are breaking anything in the products on purpose.

Vajrang.

Peter Farnham

Hi Vajrang,

Thank you very much for the reply, but you text sizing seems to jump around a bit, hehe!

Good to see that finally in black and white.

Now that needs to be emailed to cad Insider and the likes to shut them up once and for all.

Here is one of the SPR's, I am waiting for my VAR to send the other numbers to me.

SPR591531 Configs not showing in Pdmworks document information.

I will post the others once I get them.

I found another bug today, will post that also once I get a SPR.

Once again,many thanks

Pete

Scott Baugh

Vajrang,

It was great meeting you on Sunday during the "Quality and Performance". I don't know if you realized it was me during that meeting that I wrote this thread.

I have always been aware that SW is always working on the next release at least 2-3 versions out and though that does show the product is going to be here for the next few years, it still does not answer the bigger question I am asking.

I think everyone knows that most software companies that have 2 software packages that do practically the same thing, just in a different fashion won't last long. They have split resources, split support, and the money for future versions is split as well. Eventually the company will make a decision on which product to keep and which one to discontinue. Since the new version of this V6 version is starting to come to light, I know for myself its of great concern, how long Solidworks as we know will actually still be around.

So you have 2-3 versions you are working on currently, that's great, maybe we will see them, maybe we won't. I am not new to Manufacturing World and Software is not much different than Products, after all Software is still a product today and if the company makes a bold decision to discontinue Solidworks, all the work you have in "X" release could be scrapped and wrote off later.

Its great that you are currently working on future releases, but in no way does that guarantee that any of us will see those releases.

I am sure there was a lot of BS in the 2 people we spoke to that day, but I think its a good thing to point this out to everyone that reads this thread. So we as users get the right answer so we are not backed into a Corner like PTC, Catia, & UG have done to their users in the past. I personally hate PTC, UG, Catia & AutoDesk with a dear passion... so in no way do I want to cross that bridge. I want to stay with Solidworks, but from our company stand point we have to do what's right to keep us going. If that means switching because we are given an ultimatum that we use the new V6 version or nothing else, then we will have to consider everything and make the best decision for us. I just hope this is not what the Top brass is thinking about doing 5-7 years down the road.

I think everyone wants to know and have some reasurance that this is not going to happen. Just telling us is not enough... we are going to have to see and feel it... I am not feeling it anymore.

Kind Regards,

Scott

Matthew West

Hi Scott,

I understand what you're saying when you write "Just telling us is not enough...we are going to have to see and feel it," and completely respect that position. Bertrand Sicot and Fielder Hiss have both publicly stated that there are no end-of-life plans for the SolidWorks tools you use today, and that the new products we introduce in the coming years will be complementary to SolidWorks.

For example, the new SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual product shown at SolidWorks World last week is a new tool intended to aid in the concepting process, letting you tweak ideas and then bring them into the current version of SolidWorks when you're ready to do detail design. It's not intended to be a replacement product. Bertrand has also publicly said that no one will be forced to move to any new products if they do not wish to.

As Vajrang says above, the product teams are well into development of SolidWorks 2014, and already thinking about SolidWorks 2015. They are committed to improving the existing tools while working on new ones, and Bernard Charles and the DS executive comittee have committed to providing the resources needed to do just that. And we hope that you both see and feel that when SolidWorks 2014 is released later this fall.

Again, I (and the whole team here) understand and respect your concerns, and know that we have to put action behind our words. But if you don't mind my asking, is there anything else we could do to help assure you that your 17-year investment of time and resources is safe?

Thanks,

Matt

Scott Baugh

Thanks Matt for your reply... well said!

Sometimes its the way people use the words that can comfort some people. You have a gift in that respect, and I want to trust each of you when you say "SW is not going away", "We will not force you to switch", time will tell where and what happens. I am still betting on Red and I hope what we are being told is correct information, but I have still have my suspensions.

"But if you don't mind my asking, is there anything else we do to help assure you that your 17-year investment of time and resources is safe?"

My 17 year investment so far as been worth every penny. I just hope to get another 17+ years out of the same product. I would like to able to provide Solidworks some help an in return I can learn about the up an coming software myself. I have requested to be part of Alpha testing of future products and releases of Solidworks. I spoke to Mark Biasotti last year about doing some Alpha testing, but never heard anything back from him on that. Hopefully you can consider adding me to that list.

I think the SW community needs to receive a more positive feedback from Solidworks and less from Dassult Systems. I think since DS has started playing a much bigger role over top Solidworks, that its causing the problems in how the Community invisions the company today. I remember when DS bought Solidworks... I can tell you where I was at when I read that Article... because the first thought I had was they were going to change the product. So we sat and watched and DS did not poke their fingers into the product. I think between the time DS bought SW and DS started making a bigger presence at SW World is when SW was at its peak of popularity and we were always Extermely happy to see what SW was up to.

Since DS started taking the stage more and pushing their products to the SW users is when things started to change and the slope became slippery. DS made their presence very aware when I was at World in 2011 in San Antonio, TX. I was not at the 2010 World so I cannot say for sure then personally, but for me its was 2010. Thats when I realized DS was going to start making a point to push into the SW community and now its nearly common knowledge to see DS at World. It seems to me they are starting to force to many areas of what SW used to do great (SWUGN Giveways is one example) and make it more the DS "French" way. We are not French, we are Americans and we want that Greasy Hamburger... not the Club sandwich... we like to go all out or go home... But in the end DS does own SW and I guess there is little SW can do. Which is my reason why I think DS is pulling the strings and SW is just the puppet some times.

I hope I am wrong...

Scott

Can we finally move on to relevant details that Dassault/SolidWorks refuses to adddress rather than useless gossip and information that is so general in nature that it's not relevant to anyone trying to make a business decision to stay with Solidworks or move on?

"For example, the new SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual product shown at SolidWorks World last week is a new tool intended to aid in the concepting process, letting you tweak ideas and then bring them into the current version of SolidWorks when you're ready to do detail design."

SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual will use the Dassault Catia CGM kernel.

SolidWorks uses the Siemens Parasolid kernel.

Users have the right to more information about how Dassualt/SolidWorks intends to handle the transfer of history based information between different products with different kernels and if Dassault/SolidWorks intends to shoot for 100 precent compatabilty.

Jon Banquer

CADCAM Technology Leaders group on LinkedIn

Glenn Schroeder

Jon Banquer wrote:

Can we finally move on to relevant details that Dassault/SolidWorks refuses to adddress rather than useless gossip and information that is so general in nature that it's not relevant to anyone trying to make a business decision to stay with Solidworks or move on?

Jon,

I'm hesitant to get involved in this, and I'm certainly not a SW cheerleader, but Matthew and Vajrang have both stated in this discussion that the current version of SW isn't going anywhere and that no one will be forced into a different product.  I wouldn't call that information general in nature and I think it is relevant.

Even if moving everyone to the cloud had been a preliminary thought (and I said if, I don't know that to be the case), maybe they've seen all the backlash and rejected that plan?

Glenn

Matthew West

Hey Jon,

This question came up in last Monday's press conference, following the Mechanical Conceptual preview. To paraphrase what Fielder Hiss said, the product teams understand that this is one of the biggest issues they have to deal with, and the reason for doing the limited availability engagement with selected customers (starting in May) is to get real customers using this tool with real data for real design projects in order to make sure everything works as the larger user base expects when the product goes to general availability in the fall.

Kelvin Lamport

Is SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual the new name for SolidWorks V6?
                                                      If not, when is V6 to be released?

Matthew West

Hi Kelvin,

We never actually announced a product called SolidWorks V6. That was a name that the press community and some users gave to the next-generation technology we've been working on, based on the assumption that the product(s) would be based on the Dassault Systemes V6 architecture and would follow similar naming conventions. Jeff Ray also said in 2010 that the SolidWorks R&D team had been calling the next-generation product SolidWorks V6 for the sake of convenience (you may have seen this in a picture posted to Deelip Menezes' blog), but again, we've never formally announced anything specifically named "SolidWorks V6."

That said, SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual is the first of our next-generation products to be announced. Hopefully that helps clear up any confusion.

Matt Lombard

Matt,

You are wrong. SolidWorks did in fact call the new software SolidWorks V6. There is photographic evidence. http://www.deelip.com/?p=1306

http://www.deelip.com/images/2010-02-02-010.gif

This came from SolidWorks World 2010. This was at the head of the app Jeff Ray showed in the general session.

Charles Culp

At SolidWorks World 2012, it was announced by Gian Paolo Bassi in specific response to a question asking about the name, that the new software would be called the SolidWorks V6 product family. It was made clear that there was no specific product called "SolidWorks V6", but that there would be a suite of products under the SolidWorks V6 name. That terminology was then re-iterated by you.

Is this no longer the case?

Matthew West

If I remember correctly, Fielder or Gian Paolo said that there would be a new "SolidWorks V6 platform" and that any new products that were part of that platform would have unique names that did not include "SolidWorks V6." So you're right there. But  naming conventions have changed since then, and the next-gen products will be part of the Dassault Systemes 3DEXPERIENCE Platform.

Jeff Holliday

Can I ask what difference it will make to anyone (either faction) regarding what the name will be? If Dassault/SW puts out a product that ends the current functionality, I think there will be a major impact. If that product is called "V6" or "I can't believe it's not SWorks" or "Oops", the result will be the same. If a product line continues improving on what we mostly have come to like it will likely continue to succeed. Would I suggest my company continue to use it even it would be renamed "V6"? Absolutely!

The functionality is the important part!

If Dassault/SW makes a bad choice that leads to the product withering away, I will be unhappy. If the "guessing games" that too many are taking part in brings that same result - that is ridiculous.

Express strong support for what you want to see happen rather than tearing down a good product thru suppositions!

Peter Farnham

Matthew,

I have a BMW, but it is not a BMW, it is a series 6, lol

This seems to be just a play on words like the politicians use.

Anyone looking at that photo would read it as Solidworks V6 with a version number.

It dosn't bother me but we should call a spade a spade or don't call it a spade at all if it is not.

I do like the "Dassault Systemes 3DEXPERIENCE Platform" though, very catchy!

Regards

Scott Baugh

I don't care what you call it, Solidworks V6 or 3DExperience Platform... I just want to know.... Is the future of Solidworks a blend of Catia V6 and Solidworks using a different Kernel... I feel like I have a few answers, but it just causes more confusion (similar to what our Government likes to do us) than helpful information.

I am still getting info that "Yeah we are not going to stop making Solidworks on the Parasolid Kernel for at least 2 years" but we are going to make these other tools Called "Whatever" and they will allow you to "Whatever" and right now it allows you to bring it into Solidworks 2013... ok that's cool, but still I am not hearing if there is going to be a 2nd major product that blends the 2 into a single package... just information that Solidworks will still be here as we know it, plus we will have other tools. Will those tools work with Solidworks, or do you have to move to higher end platform that is based on Solidworks but its not Solidworks.... I don't know... I don't feel like I am getting a straight answer every time... If I could get something off the record and it was a straight answer, then I would keep that to myself and plan our company accordingly.

I truly think that Solidworks and DS are very intelligent people and have seen what happens to companies trying to support multiple platforms. We have all seen the legacy of what happens when companies try to blend 2 main applications together into one superior application... it has yet to end in the companies favor. I do not believe Solidworks or DS Solidworks is that stupid... but in my career, I have learned one thing... NEVER under estimate the people you are working with. They could be really really smart, or really really dumb, but if they look smart and make a dumb move it will ruin everything they have worked for and bring the house they built with them.

I just want to know... I think I got some what of answer, but I know they cannot release all that confidential info... but I their competetors think they know, and they are using that information and the lack of DS Solidworks response to their advantage and could scare some companies into switching. 1. I don't want to see that happen (bad Salesmenship) and 2. I don't want DS Solidworks to lose ground... making one superior product is a bad idea and that to me is a pretty scary adventure, if that were to be the case... time will tell

The world is changing it will be interesting to sit back and watch and see if DS Solidworks shoots AutoDesk in the Head (I hate AutoDesk) or shoot themselves in the foot.

Go Big Red!

Regards,
                                                                              Scott

Charles Culp

Thank you, that is clear.

Kelvin,

I consider SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual to be the first part of a new SolidWorks built on the Enovia V6 "backbone". As more parts are added to the Enovia "backbone" you will have the new SolidWorks. If this approach works and offers significant benefits and if SolidWorks users accept this approach, you will see legacy Solidwork die no matter what anyone who works for SolidWorks says or any SolidWorks fanboi proclaims. That's my reality. I've been around CADCAM for a long time now. I don't think my reality is wrong and my track record of calling it right on the need for direct modeling, HSMWorks problems, Mastercam's problems, the huge advantage of built in PDM that's transparent (TopSolid CADCAM 7), etc. holds up very well under fair and unbiased scrutiny.

Jon Banquer

Hi Matt,

I appreciate your skill set and what you bring to the table.

"This question came up in last Monday's press conference, following the Mechanical Conceptual preview. To paraphrase what Fielder Hiss said, the product teams understand that this is one of the biggest issues they have to deal with, and the reason for doing the limited availability engagement with selected customers (starting in May) is to get real customers using this tool with real data for real design projects in order to make sure everything works as the larger user base expects when the product goes to general availability in the fall."

A general outline of the framework that Dassault/SolidWorks will use to do this should be provided. As soon as it is, most of the gossip and nonsense will stop and will change to how well it will work.

There is no doubt in my mind that moving to the Dassault CATIA kernel for SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual is the right move. When new CAD start ups are announced this year they won't be using Siemens Parasolid or the Siemens 2D or 3D constraint managers. There is very good reason for that and Gian Paolo Bassi has said what they are.

Thanks,

Jon Banquer

Roland Schwarz

Glad to hear that SW is sticking w/ Parasolid.  CATIA's kernel sucks.

I have not used CATIA, but I have had to use CATIA output.  It is by far the worst of all the major high-end modellers to deal with for importing data.

When importing CATIA models, I often found that faces and axes that should be parallel or perpendicular simply are not.  They are off at about the 6th or 7th decimal point.  This is enough to cause SW to recognize as not parallel or perpendicular, which causes many problems downstream.

I had a colleague who worked on CATIA translations investigate this.  He was surprised.  CATIA has a way of calling entitiy relationships parallel or perpendicular with a much looser tolerance than SW.  He was able to detect the error even within CATIA, once he knew to look for it.

Alin Vargatu

Roland Schwarz wrote:

Glad to hear that SW is sticking w/ Parasolid.  CATIA's kernel sucks.

I have not used CATIA, but I have had to use CATIA output.  It is by far the worst of all the major high-end modellers to deal with for importing data.

When importing CATIA models, I often found that faces and axes that should be parallel or perpendicular simply are not.  They are off at about the 6th or 7th decimal point.  This is enough to cause SW to recognize as not parallel or perpendicular, which causes many problems downstream.

I had a colleague who worked on CATIA translations investigate this.  He was surprised.  CATIA has a way of calling entitiy relationships parallel or perpendicular with a much looser tolerance than SW.  He was able to detect the error even within CATIA, once he knew to look for it.

Roland,

I have a feeling that that happens because most of the CATIA guys are not aware of the fact that they can specify the precision used in the exported geometry.

Read this short article on what's going on.

http://www.javelin-tech.com/main/support/pdf/catia.pdf

Paul Cullen

Hi Scott

You post looks to me like a bad salesman trying to sell an inferior product, I don't care who they are or what product they are selling when they start running down the competition it's time to get up and walk away from the table. A good salesman will concentrate on their product and will be telling you about how good it is instead of trying to distract you with lies and crap about how bad the competition is. What were they trying to cover up about their own product by trying to distract you. Basically they were trying to frighten you away from SolidWorks rather than sell you their product, to me I smell a rat.

I do not think SolidWorks will force all of their customers to move to the cloud, they might bring out a product that does operate from the cloud but I cannot see them forcing anyone to move to the cloud. Who knows what the future will bring maybe in 20 or 30 years time everyone will be using the cloud and no one will want traditional PC based software, so SolidWorks cannot say that they will not be moving to cloud based software.

As a side note my VAR recently discussed this type of crap that is doing the rounds and they made it clear that SolidWorks 2014 was in the bag and only needed finishing touches and that they were currently working on 2015 and 2016 and that SolidWorks were committed to their current format for many years to come.

I think if you jump ship to a different software because you think SolidWorks might be moving to the cloud or changing to a different kernel you could end up on an inferior product, SolidWorks is not perfect and if you are going to change software make sure it is for the right reasons (better product / better suits your purpose) and not because of some negative spin doctoring.

Finally I think if SolidWorks are going to move totally to the cloud (I don't think it will happen until there is no longer a demand for its current software format) it will not happen over night, there is going to be a lead in of several years, which would be more than enough time for you to move then. I also think that a change away from the parasolid kernel would be a major change to the software so I only see them changing kernel if it was going to bring major advancements to the software.

Paul

Paul,

Siemens is working the SolidWorks reseller channel very hard to get SolidWorks resellers to stop selling SolidWorks and to start selling Solid Edge ST and NX.

SolidWorks resellers are very concerned with the lack of information and clear future of SolidWorks. Either SolidWorks lays out a very clear plan at SolidWorks World 2013 in the next few days or you will see a few SolidWorks resellers change to selling Siemens Solid Edge ST and NX in 2013.

There is absolutely no truth to what has been posted by the person who started this discussion about SolidWorks being in danger of losing Parasolid. Siemens won't be pulling the Parasolid kernel from anyone. The person who started this discussion has often been very misleading (major understatement) in the past on other subjects as well as this one. The truth is that Parasolid and D-cubed are about to have a lot of competition in the kernel and constraint manager market. You will see prominent new CAD startups announced in 2013 and they will not be using the Parasolid kernel, D-cubed constraint manager or the ACIS kernel.

Jon Banquer

Paul Cullen

Hi Jon

If a reseller wants to move from SolidWorks to Siemens thats perfectly ok, but they better make sure that they are doing it for the right reasons and not just because of some crap that Siemens has told them. Only SolidWorks can tell you what is going to happen with SolidWorks, and I taught that they were doing just that.

In his post Scott says

I was told by Jeff Ray on the Midway last year that they paid for 99 years to use of the Siemens Parasolid Kernel and we had nothing to worry about, but there was a change that was coming in the next 5 - 7 years

Scott was told directly that SolidWorks had the right to use the Parasolid Kernel for the next 99 years, but still as soon as the competition shows up on his door step and says differently that then becomes the truth not the message comming from SolidWorks. Varang has also posted and said that this was untrue and was a load of crap, these are messages comming directly from SolidWorks but still some people don't want to believe them.

As in regard to the changes in the next 5 - 7 years of course there are changes coming, SolidWorks cannot stand still they have to keep evolving, they are either going to keep evolving to stay at the head of the pack or they wither away and die, more people would jump ship if SolidWorks stoped evolving and changing than would ever jump ship because of these accusations.

I know that as great as my VAR is, if they changed to Siemens I would not be following them until I have seen concrete evedence that SolidWorks was moving in a direction that I did not like. I think if you are happy with the software as it is but you jump ship because of some negitave marketing you are making a big mistake.

Paul

Paul,

"Scott was told directly that SolidWorks had the right to use the Parasolid Kernel for the next 99 years, but still as soon as the competition shows up on his door step and says differently that then becomes the truth not the message comming from SolidWorks. Varang has also posted and said that this was untrue and was a load of crap, these are messages comming directly from SolidWorks but still some people don't want to believe them."

Before Varang posted anything here, SolidWorks had already made it very clear that the Parasolid kernel would remain in legacy SolidWorks. Please let me know if you need a link where it's explicitly stated that legacy SolidWorks will remain on the Parasolid kernel.

What's troubling to me is the new way Dassault is marketing SolidWorks. Many significant details are left out intially and instead they come out very slooooooooooowly over many months. An example of this is how SolidWorks V6, which is now called SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual, was introduced at this mornings SolidWorks World 2013:

http://blogs.solidworks.com/solidworksblog/2013/01/introducing-solid.html

Jon Banquer

Scott Baugh

At no point in time did I say we were leaving Solidworks, but knowing the future of Solidworks is what I want know. We have a large investment into Solidworks and that is what is importnat to us. One simple reply about the kernel is not enough to make me feel better. I need a more defined path. Hopefully here at World they will give me some idea.

Of course seeing some people I knew at Solidworks in the higher positions to leave the company because of "all the politics and direction they were heading" draws even more concern to what the Change is that is coming.

I was told there is going to be 2 completely separate products in the coming years. So that should tell you that everything I am telling you could be true about the other product, or some of it... either way something is happening and getting that information is what I need.

Regards,

Scott

Bill Tannalfo

As a long time Enovia specialist, a former employee of MatrixOne (purchased by 3Ds and now is Enovia) and a current Admin / Sr. Software Engineer for Enovia in a SW EPDM blended environment I wanted to drop my 2 cents here.

I spoke with an Exec from SolidWorks a few years back (maybe 5) shortly after 3Ds purchased MatrixOne in 2006. At the time we were purchasing SW and he wanted to know what features my company need from EPDM, what Enovia did for us, and what our ideal future vision would be. It wasn’t a sales call because we had already committed to the purchase. My opinion was, and still is, some type of background integration between the 2 systems. My suggestion to him was a web service that can be deployed between the systems which will allow them to "talk" to each other; exchange data, pull/push files, etc…

EPDM is a good mechanical workgroup document system, but it’s in a silo when it comes to true enterprise systems. Enovia is an enterprise Product Lifecycle Management system that has a lot  of integrations to ERP, CRM, ect… systems.

A little insight into how Enovia handles files... The Enovia PLM System handles files very similarly to the EPDM system. The file is uploaded to the Enovia servers 'Store' and is renamed with a "mangled" name in the store. This name is unique to that specific file. The filename originally given to the file by the user is recorded in the database and a reference to that files new location on the server is recorded. When the user views the file from the PLM interface, the user sees the original name. The file never leaves the Enovia server.

SW & Enovia have a lot of customers in the defense, aerospace, etc..  business. There is no way these companies will allow their files to be moved out of their business, and since the all mighty $ speaks the loudest, there is little chance 3Ds will change that anytime soon.

Will SW ever drop EPDM? That I can’t tell you; I know the Enovia system has an integration into the SW desktop software but is lacking the ability to notify the user when a subassembly / part changes in a BOM that the user has open. This is why we went with EPDM, but as a Sr. Software Engineer I only see that as a hurtle that hasn’t been jumped.

IMHO - Before SW legacies EPDM, I think they’ll integrate the two systems first. That would be the logical course of action. I also see a day when saving to the cloud is an option for EPDM / PLM, but only as an option. I seriously doubt 3Ds will REQUIRE it because they would lose a lot of revenue from companies who are prohibited from the cloud.

Bill

Adrian Velazquez

Thanks for your Inside Bill! We are looking into expanding our EPDM into a PLM System.

Scott Baugh

Thanks for your insight on this Bill. I sent your reply to our PLM Admin to review your comments. Which is part of the reason why I asked this question to begin with. We just made a healthy investment into EPDM coming from Windchill and the thought of moving to EPDM and SW to bail out in a few years is concerning and is why I posed this question to everyone... again thanks for your input, it is very valuable here!

Kind Regards,

Bill Stadler

Scott

We are heavily invested in both SolidWorks and EPDM and have been asking the same questions.  I started out on SolidWorks in 96 and have been managing it here for 6 years, 7 years at another large company, and worked for a VAR for four years before that so I hear you on the time invested.

The loosing access to the parasolid kernel has come and gone so many times that I tuned it out.  The one thing that I cannot tune out is the point you made about having two products (SW and the New SW) that are meant to accomplish the same thing.  I don't know how a company could sustain advancing both products. 

Bill

Thanks for the Enovia to EPDM insight.  Understanding Enovia has been on my list for quite some time.  I am hoping that you are correct with the two merging together.  I am also hoping the same for SolidWorks and the New SolidWorks.