AnsweredAssumed Answered

Sheetmetal HELP!!

Question asked by Seth Renigar on Jan 17, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 18, 2013 by John Stoltzfus

As long as I've been using SolidWorks (18 years), I have never truly understood how to create sheetmetal parts.  I'm more of a plastics guys.  I've only ever had a need to create a sheetmetal part a handful of times.  And all of those were super simple.

Now, all of the sudden, I'm being faced with creating a sheetmetal part, that I believe would be a challenge for even experienced sheetmetal gurus.  Basically, it is a tapered cone that wraps around nearly meeting itself, with partial flanges on the edges that nearly meet.  I have struggled and struggled with this.  But I can't seem to get what I need, in a true sheetmetal part.

I'm attaching a part model that I created (non-sheetmetal) that represents exactly what I need.  It is actually a body inserted into a new part, as the original part model contained proprietary information. Plus, it was pretty ridiculous what I had to go thru just to create what is here (too embarrassing to let others see it, hehe).  Also, this part contains a few holes and a notch.  These features are NOT my biggest concern.  My biggest problem is creating the tapered cone, with the flanges.  I think what is hurting me the most is the gap of the cone feature (lofted-bend) that the flanges need to be on, will have a taper the opposite direction of the cone itself (refer to the reference sketch from the back view).

Could one of you sheetmetal experts please take a look at this model and give me some pointers?  I don't even really know where to start...

Attachments

Outcomes