14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2013 1:57 PM by Greg Rupp

EPDM requires logon when open an Outlook attachement

Cristian Fustos

Hello all,

I have some users that are complaining that every time they access an attachment from Outlook and are not logged in, EPDM launches and requires logon. If you hit no, you are getting the notification attached and you have to manually log in the EPDM.

Is there a way of stopping the automatic log in?

Regards,
      Cristian

• Re: EPDM requires logon when open an Outlook attachement
          Gary Radish

Cristian, Not that I know of hopefully someone else knows I am running 2011.  Do you have the office add-in for EPDM?

Tim Read

Hi Cristian,

I'm assuming the attachment is a link into the EPDM Vault... If the user is not logged into EPDM then they will not have access to the target of that link. What the user wants is Automatic Login to work so that they can access the attachment - otherwise they shouldn't have clicked on it.

You can disable automatic login for EPDM but there is no way of turning off the login prompt if you click on a link to a file inside an EPDM vault - it wouldn't make sense if there was.

Eric Endlich

Christian,

You can change the "Automatic Login" feature in the Archive Server Configuration tool. Right click on the vault name and choose properties. Change to the "Login" tab and uncheck the "Automatic Login" feature. Changing this means everytime a user double clicks on the vault, they will have to log in for the first time rather than having it automattically log in based on the windows user. I'm not sure if this will fix your problem though.

1-31-2013 3-25-32 PM.png

Cristian Fustos

Hi Eric,

Sorry for delayed response. Even if we can login as admin on the vault, we do not have access to the Archive Server. Our IT department does...

I have tested your suggestion and it is not working. Can you replicate my issue? If you log off all vaults, and open a picture that is attached to an e-mail, will EPDM ask you to login automatically?

Regards,

Cristian

Charley Saint

Christian,

Login prompting usually occurs when the program tries to access a folder in the vault. This happens in some versions of SolidWorks if you have files in the Recent File list that are in the vault and you click the File menu, because it is trying to look in those folders. It also happens in Windows 7 if you start to type something into the "Search Programs and Files" box of the start menu, because it's searching in the vault and tries to open files there. I would suspect that Outlook is trying to access a folder in the vault because that was the last place the user saved a picture to, so it opens it by default. Have the user try to save an attachement when they are logged into the vault and see if it's looking in there, then have them save something outside the vault and see if it still happens. Or have your IT department use Process Monitor to track down the registry key it's referencing. Of course the easier solution is to delete the users Windows profile, but users don't tend to like that

Eric Endlich

I cannot replicate the issue on my end. Can you post some screen shots of outlook before you open the picture, after you open it and it asks you to log in, and what it looks like after you log in and the image opens? If you can, include the entire desktop, not a cropped screen shot so we can get a better idea of what is going on. Thanks.

Greg Rupp

Hi Cristian, i'm not sure why opening an image file from outlook is triggering this. I just tried opening a .jpg and a .bmp and no issues. I have to agree with Charley though, something about the action of opening an image file it triggering windows to want to access the vault.

We too get this message anytime we cancel a login screen (independent of a manual or automatic login). As many of the others have mentioned.  You may be able to avoid this all together; so the user never has to click cancel. One thing not mentioned is that you can leave the "automatic login" settings alone on the archive server and just change it on the affected local computers. Open up the administration tool on the computer you want to auto login to. Towards the very bottom is the "settings". Inside there, you can specify to automatically log into the vault with a certain user name and password on a specific vault.

Just out of curiousity, when your users are opening pictures, what program is trying to open the picture? what version of windows are they using and what version EPDM.

Lastly, is this only on select computers or is it everyone?