AnsweredAssumed Answered

Basic Workgroup Workflow

Question asked by Dan Cook on Jan 17, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 by Jeff Holliday

I'm new to Workgroup PDM, and I'm a little confused as to how the general check in/check out workflow is supposed to work. I've been using Autodesk Inventor Vault for the past two years, and have recently switched over to Solidworks, and the functionality of the PDM software between the two packages seems to be a little bit different.

In the past (i.e. in Inventor) we didn't have "ownership" of files/projects (at least at the level I was using it). A user who wanted to modify a file simply "checked out" the document, made changes, and "checked in" the document. This doesn't seem like the intended workflow for PDMWorks.

As far as I can tell, you're supposed to "take ownership" of the part(s) when you are working on them, and check them in when you're done with your edits (bumping the revision). How does "check out" work into this workflow? Do I need to "take ownership", "check out", edit parts, then "check in"?

Also, in the My Vault window pane in Solidworks, the icons of the files seem to only change when you take/release ownership. How do I know if I have a file checked out to me, or if it's checked out to someone else?

I'm familiar with all the concepts of the Vault, I just can't seem to find documentation from SW as to how the workflow is intended to be used.

Thanks in advance.

Outcomes