4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 6:43 PM by Jared Conway

Thermal simulation - have no idea where to start

David S

Hey guys. I am set to make 3 casserole dishes by famous French dish company Le Creuset. I haven't got any pics of the 3D main part but here's one of the lids I made in 3D.

I have to test them for 'temperature distribution: sensitivity to geometric parameters'. My problem is I don't know what method(s) to use, and I'm not sure about getting it to work.

I've made the main casserole dishes with handles (which I made by doing an extrusion of a shape along a 3D line going midway, then extruded the end to connect to the dish, then mirrored that 3D object a couple times to fit around the dish). Last time I checked the handles wouldn't mesh properly, and I have no idea about setting the different material types.

I can't run Solidworks and Solidworks Simulation on my home PC, so I want to know how to do this before I go into uni clueless

le-creuset-cast-iron-saucepan-18cm-cerise.pngfinal nonstick lid render.JPG

• Re: Thermal simulation - have no idea where to start
          Henry Kurniadi

Attach your files (2D is fine), I'll help you.

Jared Conway

i would start with listing your inputs (how are you going to add heat, how are you going to remove it, materials), the changes you're going to make (dimensions, loading condition..etc) the outputs you want and the assumptions you're ok with making.

from there you'll be able to decide what approach you want to take (cfd with flow simulation or thermal fea with simulation) and decide what you need from a modeling perspective.

for example you might be ok with assuming the pans are dry (nothing in them)

your goal is to see the temperature distribution difference

one has a square bottom

the other has around bottom

the model is just a simple shelled out box/cylinder without the top

you're ok with a steady state solution because you're interested in the temperature distribution over a long period of time

you're not too concerned with the air temp and that you think the convection is pretty simple to quantify so you go with thermal fea

you're going to assume all the faces other than the one being heated have convection of 1W/mK

temperature differences are minor so you can ignore radiation

the face being heated has a split line with a certain wattage or temperature, the rest is assumed to be at a really low convection because its touching the top of the stove

the make up is the same so the materials are the same, in this case you could make the materials anything because the bc's are different and just use relative performance differences

this would be pretty similar to some of hte problems in the tutorials. you could then take this to many different levels depending on what assumptions you want to take away. for example:

you could add a part with a "food" material and see how well it heats

you could go to a transient analysis to see if one heats up faster and more even then another

go to a CFD solution for more accurate portrayal of the convection...etc.

David S

Cool, thanks. It's an essay/presentation due for monday. I can't run simulation or the solidworks simulation version over the weekend, but I'll be sure to mention all of that as assumptions, test experiments and maybe calculate some theoretical and actual results for that and other areas by other means.

If you know of any alternative simulation softwares I can trial/use over the weekend (I've got solidworks models, which I've run one study on. They're simple and I can recreate them), that would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the thermal advice.