AnsweredAssumed Answered

Solid Sweep (Cut): Designing a Feedscrew

Question asked by Iain Hendry on Jan 16, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 by Eric Husted

Hi all,

I've done some digging around in the forums, but can't seem to find an answer to what I'm trying to do and having some difficulty with.

What I'm trying to do:  I'm designing part of a machine which consists of a feedscrew; each revolution of the screw advances one part along a conveyor.  The part is basically an extruded oval.

Making a Helix and then sweeping the profile of the part along the helix doesn't work, because the material left over on the screw interferes with the part a few degrees before and after the point of engagement.

I understand the use of Solid Sweep (vs. Profile Sweep), and Solid Sweep should give me the effect I'm looking to create.  However, Solid Sweep seems to only work with a cylindrical solid, not any other shape.  As my part is an extruded oval, I can't quite think of a workaround for this.

Any suggestions?  Attached is a part file showing the dilema - I want to make a Solid Sweep (Cut) using the body "Part Representation" and "Helix/Spiral1" features, but it won't allow me to make the feature.

Thanks in advance!

-Iain

(SolidWorks 2012, SP5.0)

Attachments

Outcomes