3 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2015 7:43 PM by Bernie Daraz

Manual centerlines. This may be old news.

Terell Dunn

I have a line of holes on an angle requiring a centerline. I can't just click two parallel edges of my part to place a centerline.

I just realized that you can draw a standard sketch line between the hole centers while in a drawing, and if you check the "construction line" box, the line becomes a center line.

Hopefully, this can benefit someone else.

• Re: Manual centerlines. This may be old news.
          Troy Peterson

You should be able to select the hole that is on an angle and create a centerline using the centerline tool. the problem with just creating a line and changing it to a construction line is that you still need to constrain it to the center of the feature, if you don't you will get the wrong dimensions when using the centerline for a dimension especially if you change the size or location of the feature .

Terell Dunn

I'm actually placing the centerline on the centers of holes that are on an angle. I'm looking "into" the holes from the front face, not from the side or in a section view, so the line seems to snap to the center of the hole as if I were in sketch mode. You can see the line highlighted in blue on the right side and its corresponding relations.

Example.png

Bernie Daraz

Terrell, In a view like yours I would have dimensions on both ends of the part. I frequently group hole sizes or types when doing so. I also hide the new 'zero' datum dimension. On 'busy' flat layouts I dimension rounds on one sheet and squares on another. These practices create drawing views that are clearer. For example, the two .376 hole vertical ordinate dimensions would be on the right side on one of my drawings. Just a suggestion of course.