4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 2:59 AM by Tim Read

Newer Local Version and Older Server Version

Vijay Narasimhan

I am using Entreprise PDM. I have checked in a file 2 days ago. Since I was working I did not checkin the model till now. By mistake I gave Get Latest Version for the file I was working on. Now my local latest version got replaced by the older server version. Is it possible to retreive my newer local version?

• Re: Newer Local Version and Older Server Version
          Tim Read

No, at least not with EPDM.

Your best bet is to look in your "Backup Directory" for SolidWorks if you have one set up. Other than that you may have to look at some form of 'recovery' tool for deleted files.

Jay Weigand

ePDM uses a caching (local view) mechanism to keep your file on your local explorer.  Tim mentioned that you may have a copy of the file in the backup directory, but short of that there isn't another copy stored anywhere.

It's best when working in ePDM on the client side to on a regular basis (e.g. daily) do a "check-in / keep checked out"  that way if you do inadvertantly overwrite your file with the vault version you have something to go back to.

Note: There would have been a screen warning you that you are about to overwrite your local copy which was modified with a copy on the vault do you want to continue (yes, yes to all, no, no to all).   I don't like to every say yes.  I'd rather cancel the get version, check everything in and then do the get version. 

That action of get version on a checked out ePDM file is the one area you can get in trouble.

Vijay Narasimhan

Actually I gave no to all..Still I got all files replaced. I thought the 'Get Latest Version' works based on time of editing

Tim Read

"No to All" would never replace the files...

"Get Latest Version" looks in the vault for the latest version and compares that with the version on disk (local cache)

shows you a list of what needs replacing then...

skips any versions that match and are not checked out

replaces any versions that do not match are are not checked out

replaces versions that are checked out with the latest version from vault WITH WARNING.

And one more thing... IF you have turned off the read only flag on any file in your local cache the you will also get the warning before it is replaced.