17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 9:48 AM by Elena Dent

Hide only an edge's hidden portion in an isometric view?

Elena Dent

Using version 2012, SP5, x64 edition.

I want to show only some of the hidden lines in a complicated part so I am manually Hiding lines. 

In the Isometric view I want to remove only the hidden portion of a visible edge, not the portion that would be visible.  (see the circled areas)

Solidworks doesn't seem to be able to do this even though Exporting the Solidworks drawing to AutoCad shows the Hidden line and a Visible line, making removing that unwanted Hidden segment possible.

Am I missing something that would make it possible to remove the unwanted section of these edges?

Thanks,

Elena

• Re: Hide only an edge's hidden portion in an isometric view?
          Chris Michalski

okay, I may be over simplifying this, but isn't that the reason for the "hidden lines removed" view state?  Or do you only want to hide some of the hidden lines?

Lenny Bucholz

if the hiddenlines are to one feature you cannot hide just a portion of it, all or nothing, sorry.

now a trick would be to make that hole in 2 features one hole up and one hole down that way you can get what you want.

I know this isn't what you want to do but it is how the software works and these are not really lines as in a 2d drawing software, but edges of a solid model.

Elena Dent

Sigh; I was afraid that was the case, Lenny.  What's exasperating is that the software certainly does know the difference between hidden and visible faces and it does export the lines. 

I guess I'll just have to hide all the hidden lines in the isometric view.

Thank you.

Lenny Bucholz

Lenny Bucholz wrote:

if the hiddenlines are to one feature you cannot hide just a portion of it, all or nothing, sorry.

now a trick would be to make that hole in 2 features one hole up and one hole down that way you can get what you want.

I know this isn't what you want to do but it is how the software works and these are not really lines as in a 2d drawing software, but edges of a solid model.

scrap that didn't work because same size

Elena Dent

I think the only solution is to hide all the hidden lines in the isometric view if I'm using a line view OR make a configuration of the part that's translucent and use the Shaded with Edges view option only for the Isometric view. 

Thank you for checking, folks.

Matthew Lorono

Elena,

I believe there might be an enhancement request asking to give control of portions of the line for selection and hiding. You can find this or create your own enhancement request.

Elena Dent

I did look in the Help files hoping to find a setting to do exactly what I described before I posted here.  During my flailing around on the online help areas I did see a couple of what may have been enhancement requests and the response was 'We're not going to do this'. 

I guess they figure it's not worth bothering with.  Rats.  Someone also wanted a break where a visible surface edge crossed an invisible dashed surface edge.  Same response - No, we're not going to bother with that.

I'm afraid I can't be more specific, I was in a hurry and once I saw the responses here saying it can't be done I just shrugged and moved on.

Matthew Lorono

Elena, I'm the "they", though not the "they" of which you specifically speak.  I'm not telling you we aren't going to do it.  I'm not going to tell you that we are, either, but your input is valuable in determining what we do.  Please also feel as though you can provide input.  It's customer input that determines our course.

Message was edited by: Matthew Lorono

Elena Dent

Thank you for the response, Matthew.

I'm guessing it's a really annoying programming problem - and unless a lot of people want it it won't happen because there are squeekier wheels demanding to be addressed NOW.  Function is more important than cosmetics after all and there is a workaround if you've got AutoCad (we do) and really want to go to the trouble.

I don't always want hidden lines - I've been told by several bosses over the years "Don't do that, it makes the drawing hard to read."  Which makes sense.  But this boss, on a few projects, DOES want them to illustrate specific details.  When I couldn't get pleasing results with visible hidden lines I tried a shaded mode with edges visible and that made him happy.

The hidden lines visible option works in orthographic views and many people don't even use isometric views.  Machinists have told me they do like the iso views because they are a great visual aid.  Perhaps if more people start using iso views to clarify their parts being able to trim as desired will become more of an issue.

Matthew Lorono

Understood.  As mentioned, please do submit an enhancement request or vote for an existing one to help us gage customer needs.  In the meantime, you can get the look you are looking for in most cases (not all) without going to a 2D CAD application: hide the offending line segment and redraw it with a sketch that is set to the correct color and line thickness.

BTW, you really don't need AutoCAD anymore.  You can use DraftSight for free or a very small subscription fee for advanced options.  Also, even within SolidWorks 2013, you can convert views to sketches (though there is no link to the original model).

Elena Dent

How do I submit an enhancement request or vote on them?  I'm sure it's blindingly obvious when you know where it is but I don't have a lot of time to spend looking during work.  I know I fell over it once but I'm afraid I don't know how I got to it - the pitfalls of internet exploring.

Elena Dent

As for AutoCad... companies hang onto it because they've already got it and are loathe to give up a resource they're already familiar with and have licenses for.  AutoCad is an extremely good linework program - far better than Solidworks for specific things like schematics and other diagrams and it's far less enfuriating than Corel. 

They already have an enormous amount of documentation in AutoCad and are not about to stop and regenerate those documents in Solidworks if they only need a small update. It would be a silly waste of time to do so too.

One place insisted on exporting Solidworks drawings to AutoCad because "That's how we do it." Even when I worked up drawing frames in Solidworks that were extremely close to the standardized AutoCad ones... no go.  THAT was also silly, because you can bet that someone would make a "minor change" in that AutoCad document and invalidate the model and assembly.

Matthew Lorono

http://customerportal.solidworks.com.  You'll need to log in.  If you already havea  forum membership (which you do, since you are leaving messages here), you should already have an account set up.  On the customer portal page you'll see Enhancement Requests option near the middle of the page.  Once clicked, you're taken to a search page.  Type in some keywords to search for.  In the results, select the enhancements to vote for.  If your enhancement isn't listed, there's a link at the bottom of the search that allows you to create a new enhancement. 

If vote for an enhancment, that vote is automatically registered in our system.  If you create a new enhancement for drawings, I'll see that in my inbox and process it as soon as I can.

P.S., you may need to use your SolidWorks serial number to link your account to your license at work if this is not already done.

P.P.S., since this is something to improve your ability to do your job, you can look at this as something that is apart of your job.  Sure, it's not in your yearly goals, but in the long run, helping us improve SolidWorks ends up helping you to acheive your goals easier.  Just don't spend a whole day perusing the enhancement database.