4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2013 9:35 AM by Ian Barry

Macro to open the most recent part

Ian Barry

I have a macro that opens all prt files in a directory and saves them as sldprt.  I have prt files that go all that go from .prt.1 up to .prt.200.  I want to forget about opening all previous files and focus just on the most recent.  Is there a way this can be done?

• Re: Macro to open the most recent part
          Artem Taturevych

Do you mean you like to interrupt your macro and then continue the process to not process the already processed files? If so you should create some sort of log text file and append every file path there. When macro runs it should read this file and skip the items already stored in this log.

Regards,

Artem Taturevych

Application Engineer at Intercad

http://intercad.com.au/

Tel: +61 2 9454 4444

Ian Barry

What I was looking for was a macro to run through a file directory and find all like part numbers, but only grab the most recent and open that and save it as an sldprt.  So for example I have one part number say, ABCDE.prt.1, ABCDE.prt.2 and ABCDE.prt.3.  I want the macro to only open ABCDE.prt.3 and save it as ABCDE.sldprt then proceed to the next part number.  Im still fairly new to VBA in solidworks and have never used it to navigate through file directories.

Deepak Gupta

Ian Barry wrote:

So for example I have one part number say, ABCDE.prt.1, ABCDE.prt.2 and ABCDE.prt.3. 

This looks like the files are from ProE and not SolidWorks. You can use the purge option in ProE to clean up the files.

Ian Barry

I have no experiance with proE, luckily my company just started the transition to solidwoks as I joined them.  I did a little reading as was able to solve my problem.  For those of you who care, the following macro opens the latest revised .prt file for each subfolder in a folder, creates new folders called sldprt and jpg in each subfolder. Then saves the part as a sldprt and jpg and puts them in their respected folder.

Dim swApp As Object

Dim FSO As Object

'Place this macro in the folder where the prt files are you'd like to convert

'It will convert the lastest revision for each part into a sldprt and save it to a sldprt folder

'It will also take a picture and save it as a jpeg in a jpg folder

Sub LoopFolders()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

sPath = Left(swApp.GetCurrentMacroPathName(), InStrRev(swApp.GetCurrentMacroPathName(), "\"))

selectFiles sPath

Set FSO = Nothing

End Sub

Sub selectFiles(sPath)

Dim swModel As SldWorks.ModelDoc

Dim sFileName As String, ssPath As String, findFile As String

Dim modDate As String, sldprtSave As String, jpgSave As String

Dim Part As Object, myModelView As Object, activeModelView As Object, f As Object

Dim file As Object, Files As Object, Folder As Object, fFile As Object

Dim longstatus As Long, longwarnings As Long, i As Long, j As Long

Dim boolstatus As Boolean

Dim fldr

Dim checkDate As Date

Set Folder = FSO.GetFolder(sPath)

For Each fldr In Folder.SubFolders 'navigates through each subfolder until it gets to the last one

selectFiles fldr.Path

Next fldr

ssPath = sPath & "\"

sFileName = Dir(ssPath & "*.prt.*")

Do Until sFileName = ""

For Each file In Folder.Files

findFile = Left(sFileName, InStrRev(sFileName, ".prt", , vbTextCompare) - 1) & "*"

checkDate = DateSerial(1950, 1, 1)

sldprtSave = ssPath & "sldprt" & "\"

If Len(Dir(sldprtSave, vbDirectory)) = 0 Then 'creates sldprt folder if it dosent exist to save part into

MkDir (sldprtSave)

End If

jpgSave = ssPath & "jpg" & "\"

If Len(Dir(jpgSave, vbDirectory)) = 0 Then 'creates jpg folder if it dosent exist to save part into

MkDir (jpgSave)

End If

For Each fFile In Folder.Files 'checks the modified date to find the lastest revised part

If fFile Like findFile Then

Set f = FSO.GetFile(fFile)

modDate = f.DateLastModified

If modDate > checkDate Then

checkDate = modDate

sFileName = fFile

End If

End If

Next fFile

j = j + 1 'counter to count the number of parts

boolstatus = swApp.LoadFile2(ssPath + sFileName, "B") 'opens the part and imports as geometry with knitting

If boolstatus = True Then 'Checks if the part was able to load

Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set myModelView = Part.ActiveView

Part.EditRebuild3

Part.ShowNamedView2 "*Isometric", -1

boolstatus = Part.Extension.InsertScene("\scenes\01 basic scenes\11 white kitchen ambient only.p2s") 'changes background to white

Part.SetUserPreferenceToggle swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swDisplayPlanes, False 'hides all planes

myModelView.DisplayMode = swViewDisplayMode_e.swViewDisplayMode_ShadedWithEdges 'adds edges to part

Part.ViewZoomtofit2

myModelView.FrameState = swWindowState_e.swWindowMaximized 'hides all toolbars for screenshot

Part.SaveAs3 sldprtSave + Part.GetTitle + ".SLDPRT", 0, 0 'saves file as sldprt

Part.SaveAs3 jpgSave + Part.GetTitle + ".JPG", 0, 0 'saves picture as jpg

swApp.CloseDoc Part.GetTitle 'closes the file

Else

i = i + 1 'counts the number of parts that weren't able to be converted

End If

Set swModel = Nothing

sFileName = Dir

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Next file

Loop

Temp = MsgBox(j - i & " parts of " & j & " parts successfully converted", vbOkayOnly, "Conversion Complete")

End Sub