15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2017 8:37 PM by Ben Fulton

supress or completely hide a drawing sheet

Jonathan McMichael

Been digging around for but can't find anything that expressly explains how to supress a drawing page in it's entirety or hides it from the multiple page layout without having to delete it. Before some idiot posts the most useless question of all "well why dont you just delete it" or "why do you need to do that" please do me a favor and pretend there is  agood reason to do so, so I don't have to explain myself in mundane detail.

I have not found anything in the help here and my guess is there just isnt any way to supress a single page in a multi-page document. I'm running SWX 2012. Thanks in advance...

R

• Re: supress or completely hide a drawing sheet
          Glenn Schroeder

Ryan,

As far as I know you're right about there not being any way to do what you want.  And please keep in mind for the future that sometimes idiots ask for mundane detail because they need more information to give the best answer.

Steve Ostrovsky

I've been called an idiot before, but will offer up an option.

In the File > Open dialog look for a Select sheets to open button. In there, select just the sheets you want loaded, all of the others will stay suppressed. You can then RMB on a sheet to load it once the drawing is opened.

Good luck and I would tone down the idiot comments. There are a lot of really great people here who have gone through a lot of SolidWorks troubleshooting and ask very good pertinent questions.

Frank Krockenberger

I agree with the above.

Ryan,

You can either save one sheet as a JPG, or save sheets as a PDF file with PDF you can select the sheets you want printed.

Jonathan McMichael

If you read carefully - Im not calling anyone an idiot...at least not yet...

Too many times I have asked a question on other forums and instead of a helpful comment I get a post that is a complete waste of everyones time and energy because they don't wan't to help they want to change your practices. Just avoiding that is all.

Steve, That is a good trick to use for performance issues in my opinion but it doesn't really act as a supressor it is more of a lightweight mode. The page count still reflects the total number of sheets & all.

Erik Bilello

Ryan,

I looked at this post because I've been in the "How to have a 1:1 DXF that's not in the PDF and still have auto sheet numbering for the rest." situation before (see Pete's and Elmar's replies), and hoped someone might have a slick solution.  As often as I had to deal with it (not much) I never did find one.

When I scrolled up to the top to look at the original question I laughed at your "idiot" comment.  It reminded me of the days when I worked with real tools and co-workers would ask to borrow them.  Unless it was a very specific request I would usually ask what they needed it for.  "C'mon, just loan me a pair of pliers (or whatever)!" they'd say.  My reason for asking was not that I didn't want to lend them pliers, but that I have dozens of kinds of pliers, if I know what you're doing I can loan you the right pair, or suggest a completely different tool that might do the job better.

I agree, if you have a good reason for wanting to do something a particular way (your boss?), you don't want a bunch of "idiots" trying to talk you out of it, or telling you you're an idiot for even thinking about doing it.  But, if you can include as much information about what that good reason is you will get more useful answers and fewer "idiots".  Don't forget, being ignorant (lacking information) is not the same as being an idiot.  As for practices, I'm always open to at least consider better ones.  There might not be a good answer to this particular problem, but someone else might have a good way to achieve your final goal which avoids this "problem" altogether.

I don't see that you have really explained exactly why you need to suppress or hide one (or maybe more) sheets in a drawing so it's not surprising that the replies are a bit speculative and may not be as helpful for you as they could be.  Can you could provide some details, mundane or not, about why you need to do this and what your final goal is (Pete's or Elmar's)?  If so, it will be easier for people to post useful replies and not bother with ones that would clearly be of no use to you.

To your original post I would ask; How often do you need to do this, now and then, or most of the time?  Are you running things through Task Scheduler (or another automated file converter/exporter)?

Knowing the answers to these (and other questions) will influence the suggestions I may, or may not, have for you.

If I don't know why you need them, I can't give you the right pliers or maybe a completely different tool that will do the job better.

Chris Challinor

File>Save As> rename the file with "Deleted Sheets" added to the file name. Now Delete the sheets you do not want in this new file.

Sorry you get two files for the same drawing, but this is the only way I can think of now......would be a good candidate for an enhancement request though,

Peter Farnham

Hi Ryan,

I can give you a very good reason why you may want to hide or suppress sheets.

Looking at sheet metal, the first sheet may contain your flat patten and on the second sheet is your folded drawing.

Now say you have twenty of these and you want to send the flat pattens to a waterjet cutting firm. They have no need for the folded sheet. The same would apply for casting drawings.

The current option is to save as PDF and select the sheets you want to save as PDF documents.

Slow, as you have to open each drawing document in turn to do this. Such a waste of time.

The PDF document will still show sheet1, now if you have sheet numbering on your drawing to show how many sheets there are total in the drawing document, you will see sheet 1 of 2. So where is sheet 2 of 2 ?, very confusing for the waterjet company.

Now if you could suppress sheet 2 and have this modify the number of sheets, then that problem will be solved and you could use Task Scheduler to just print sheet 1 of all the drawing documents. Much quicker and less confusion.

Is that not the aim of using Solidworks, to save time??

Fred Vraj

Hi

I know its a bit too late to answer but what I do is that I always rename or renumber every drawing sheet page so I actually know what the tab contains within the drawing which means  that to pick wanted pages for PDF saving for my laser cut guy is very easy and fast. ( 60 pages drawing  takes me 60 seconds. )

I wish we could suppress or hide drawing tabs but we can not.

EX what I do bellow:

TABs.JPG

I know it would not be the answer to Ryan's question but its one of the options how to make it a bit faster.

Elmar Klammer

Hello,

You can't do it "out-of-the-box". Our sheetmetal drawings usually contain a drawing for the formed piece and a sheet showing the flat pattern scaled 1:1. The flat pattern sheet is named "DXF" &  running number like DXF-01.

If I export to PDF, i run a macro that finds all sheets that start with "DXF" and deletes the sheets and then exports the drawing, hence I the correct number of sheets showing in the PDF.

For flat pattern dxf exports, I run a macro that exports only sheets that start with "DXF".

All this is done with PAC4SWX and works like a charm.

The drawback, you need to have your drawing sheets set up accordingly for this to work.

Elmar

Steve Ostrovsky

Ryan - After reading a few of the sheet metal comments, I got to wanting to know what your end goal was. Maybe we're providing suggestions that won't support your end goal. Are you trying to create several sheet metal flat pattern drawings at one time as a few people have commented on? You can create DXF flat patterns directly from the SolidWorks Part file for instance.

Either way, there is no out of the box way to suppress or remove drawing sheets once they are open. You will simply have to delete them. You might be able to get a macro to perform this if you want to explore those options.

Jonathan McMichael

My only end goal was " supress a drawing page in it's entirety or hide it from the multiple page layout without having to delete it" although I would have added as well as keeping the auto sheet count accurate while that happens.

Erick's comment is spot on:

"I don't see that you have really explained exactly why you need to suppress or hide one (or maybe more) sheets in a drawing so it's not surprising that the replies are a bit speculative and may not be as helpful for you as they could be. "

This is exactly why I do not come to forums for help in general. Because no one pays attention to the matter at hand. Everyone wants to know why I am trying to do it rather than focusing on the question.  For instance everyone got on a sheet metal tangent which was brought up completely randomly. If you want to offer suggestions as to how better to do something that is fine. But in this case there is no better alternative. I dont want to delete the page as I mentioned FIRST and I dont want to copy the drawing and save a version of it because future drawing changes are not captured. Its a Yes or No question. 

Question has pretty much been answered at this point -  "Either way, there is no out of the box way to suppress or remove drawing sheets once they are open. You will simply have to delete them. "

But since you all have morbid curiosity - there are PLENTY of reasons why myself or someone would want to supress a drawing page. The most basic one of which is to keep from having to delete it permanently. I do not waste time. If I can find a faster way of doing something I do it that way. I may want to supress a sheet in a big 10 page drawing because it contianed a product enhancement that we do not want to divulge (even with proprietary note in dwg) until an NDA is in place. So to keep it around for a future revision it would save time to just supress the page. It would be added back to the fray later after the NDA is in place. Such a feature would alter the auto page counts as needed. There are many other reasons.

If you are looking for this same functionality however ,here is a useful workaround. Edit each sheet format and change the sheet x of x to manually report the number of pages. You can copy the original linked text and keep it below the drawing page if you like. Stop at the page that you want to be last. When producing the PDF you can use print sheet range and just produce the pages you want. Obviously this is not an ideal way to accomplish this and it is only effective in this case because the time cost of redrawing two full pages of data by far exceeds the time it takes to change 7 of the 10 page counts. However, if it was 20 or more pages, or a much much simpler part like a widget for example, it might be a different story.

Thanks for those who had something useful to reply with.

Elmar Klammer

Hello Ryan,

In my previous post I forgot to mention a critical detail. The pdf export macro deletes all sheets that don't have DXF in the sheet name.

However, the drawing is not saved after deleting spec. pages, and all sheets are available after reopening the drawing. I simply temporarily delete what I don't need and export to PDF. You can reuse your drawing at any time without loosing data.

Elmar

Chris Challinor

Ryan Fisher wrote:

Before some idiot posts the most useless question of all "well why dont you just delete it" or "why do you need to do that" please do me a favor and pretend there is  agood reason to do so, so I don't have to explain myself in mundane detail.

If you read carefully - Im not calling anyone an idiot...at least not yet...

Too many times I have asked a question on other forums and instead of a helpful comment I get a post that is a complete waste of everyones time and energy because they don't wan't to help they want to change your practices. Just avoiding that is all.

This is exactly why I do not come to forums for help in general. Because no one pays attention to the matter at hand. Everyone wants to know why I am trying to do it rather than focusing on the question.  For instance everyone got on a sheet metal tangent which was brought up completely randomly. If you want to offer suggestions as to how better to do something that is fine. But in this case there is no better alternative. I dont want to delete the page as I mentioned FIRST and I dont want to copy the drawing and save a version of it because future drawing changes are not captured. Its a Yes or No question. 

But since you all have morbid curiosity - there are PLENTY of reasons why myself or someone would want to supress a drawing page.

Thanks for those who had something useful to reply with.

Glad we could help, have a nice day..............  

Erik Bilello

Yes we are sometimes morbidly curious.

You have now included additional information, (now and then and want the "page# of pages" to be correct for the number of pages showing and I'm guessing, saving to PDF or something) which if you had included in the original post would have allowed me, or others to provide the best answers and not bother with ones that wouldn't be so useful.

I would have said right up front (as I did actually in my first post) that there is no easy way to do it.  For the occasional use the best ways I found (in 12 odd years) are either your current method (last paragraph in your last post).

Or, assuming (lacking info here) you want to save to PDF, DWG, etc. open the drawing, delete the unwanted sheets (the numbering will update), Save As. . . and then close the drawing without saving the changes.  Elmar also suggested this, it's fiddly but works for occasional use and is flexible (delete different sheets in different situations).

If you needed to do this for all your drawings I would have looked at your post and said "That guy's out of luck." and not bothered posting anything.

For the people who do need to do this a lot the PAC4SWX Elmar mentions looks interesting and I might have a closer look at it. Thanks for the tip Elmar.

Ben Fulton

Why cant Solidworks just have a tickbox in each sheets properties "Dont print" or "Hide sheet from Macros" or whatever. Would be so handy for my multi-sheets for sheet metal with lots of sheets only there for 1:1 DXF creation.

So Solidworks, get to it!! We have spoken!! Customise for this task or die! *sniggers*