11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 1:52 PM by John Seyler

3D Mice?

Stephen Bittner

Since I started experiencing pain and discomfort in my right hand some weeks ago, I'm in the market for a 3D mouse to help alleviate some of those symptoms.  Just reaching out to the community for advice, help, suggestions, etc....

Thanks!

-Steve

• Re: 3D Mice?
          Glenn Schroeder

I have a Space Navigator.  I like it and the price is reasonable.

Timothy Holman

At my office we all use the 3dconnexion space pilot pro. They work quite well espeically if you take advatage of the prograble buttons for the most commanly used tools in soildworks. 

Here is a link http://www.3dconnexion.com/

I know of at least one other company from solidworks world last year that has a similar product but have never used their product and cant remember the name of it. 

Glenn Schroeder

Here is a discussion that I started before I got mine if you want to check out the comments.  https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/45365

Wayne Schafer

I use a Space Pilot Pro and have for several years and I feel naked without it.  When I am working on a station other then mine and they do not have the Space Pilot I find myself always reaching with my left hand thinking it is there.  It speeds my delevopment time up.  I love it.

Todd Becker

I'm using a Space Pilot and love it. I have been using a 3D mouse for at least 10 years. I can't live without it now.

John Seyler

I have used a space pilot pro for over a year. I have found it works best for detailing drawings for me, but when it comes to modeling it is faster for me still to keep my left hand on keyboard. The reason for it is numeric input don't want to have to jump between two devices,

Michael Lord

Stephen,

I would also suggest that you consider looking at a Trackball as well (replacing mouse).  I currently use a Logitech M570 http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570

I would support John's comment as well.  The Space Pilot are good but I can model faster (rotate, zoom with more accuracy) using the Trackman and left hand keyboard.

Robert Chase

I would have to agree with most of the posts here. When I first used a 3D mouse at HRA I didn't use it that much but when I started a different job without my 3Dconnexion Space Pilot I realized how much I used that and as stated my right hand started cramping on me. I would stongly encourage you to use the 3Dconnexion Space Pilot, I have been using mine for almost 4 years now and love it. As a side note if the cost is an issue from time to time they do have refurbished units for sale on the 3Dconnexion site. That's how I got mine and it was nearly half the cost and is still going strong.

Patrick Moody

To help prevent this issue, as well as get other benefits, I started using a good quality gaming mouse. Might not be the end all and might not have all functionality, but I find the macro programming and high sensitivity to be awesomely helpful. If you set the sensitivity high enough, you don't need to stress your wrist so much and move faster around the screen (with much practice) with much less movement. I use the macros to simplify redundant tasks with many keystrokes to a button press or 2.

My weapon of choice is the Logitech G500. Very comfortable, customizable and easily found for $50 or less. Oh yeah, and no silly looking lights.

Just a suggestion for a commonly missed possibility.

John Seyler

I have to agree with Patrick , the mouse I currently run a Logitech G700 and have to say it really reduced movement of my hand  - I run two 30 inch apples and stay within a 3-4 inch area on my desk with my sensitivity settings. And the 10 programmable macro buttons are great for repetitive tasks (also they sense what program you are operating in). Also the ergonomics are better on gaming mice