6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 11:54 AM by Mike Lydon

save drawing view as sketch - insert sketch into part file

Mike Lydon

OK, so SWX2013 has this new whiz-bang tool to create a sketch from a drawing view. I did that. Now, how do I get that sketch into part sketch?

Mike

• Re: save drawing view as sketch - insert sketch into part file
          Bjorn Hulman

Not running 2013 yet. A potential method would be to convert the sketch to a block, copy/paste the block, position and dissolve. If you intend to use the sketch more often, save the block

Mike Lydon

Bjorn,

Tried that. Did not try to save the block, though. Ultimately, I found the easiest way was to save the view as .dwg, and open the .dwg to a new part. I guess I just figured that if SWX let us convert the view to a sketch, they might assume we might want to use the sketch somewhere other than a drawing sheet. If I am missing something, and there is an easy way to use the resulting sketch in a part, I would love to know. Otherwise, just another case of the product definition guys working with blinders on. Yup. You can convert the view to a sketch. It'll be great to make static details for your drawings, or mirror a view. You wouldn't want to do anything else with that sketch, would you? Naaah.

Bjorn Hulman

Well, it's a new feature which no doubt filled a demand. If you put in a request for a suitable solution to this issue you never know, they might deliver.

Mike Lydon

Bjorn,

Without getting into things too deeply, I am currently trying to just get SWX to make some old things just work, never mind beating them up over new stuff. If you use Weldments, Cut Lists, Assemblies, and BOMs, then I suspect you may have some idea about things in SWX that just plain don't work.

Bjorn Hulman

Mike,

I have no idea to what complexity you work. I've had a fair share of experience with weldments and cutlists in a previous job. Currently creating a lot of assemblies with associated BOMs and drawings. I find SWX to be infinitely more stable than it was 5 or 6 years ago with both weldments and BOMs. I even render directly off engineered models these days.

Mike Lydon

Bjorn,

I have cut lists that routinely report incorrect weight. My weldments are not terribly complex. When you check Cut List Properties, Weight, the mass reported in the properties is not pointing to the correct Cut List item. So, I pick the drop down, re-pick Mass, and the weight is now reporting correctly. The problem is, if I open the Weldment tomorrow, or next week, there is no gaurantee that the weights will not have changed again. I just sent a file to my VAR in which NOT ONE Cut List item was pointing to the correct Cut List item for Weight. This model had not been opened for a month. Don't even get me started about Bills of Material and incorrect bubble numbers. I find the modeling and drawing functions working pretty well. Assembly mates still like to over define, reverse, etc. on occasion, but not too badly. It's the BOMs and Cut Lists that I have the most problems with. I have been using SWX since 2005, and have seen more problems in the last six months, than I have seen since I have been using SWX.

Mike