20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 11:28 AM by Charles Culp

User Name Pop-up Window

Marcello Jacobs

We installed the latest SolidWorks 2013 and the corresponding PDM. Now when your mouse hovers over a user name a window pops up with their information. Is there a way to disable this,it is very anoying and gets in the way quite a bit. (See attached picture for example)

• Re: User Name Pop-up Window
          Raghavendra Bhagwan

Hello Marcello,

Unfortunately No, You cannot disable the pop-up on a hover of the user information.

Hope this helps !

Raghav.

Lee CS Young

You could move the column off screen by rearranging it to the farthest right. Not ideal, but it's an option.

Charles Culp

So is this the official "If they don't give me the option to turn this off I'm going to strangle someone" thread?

Because that pop-up in EPDM over usernames is starting to drive people batty, and we've only used EPDM for a month now.

Craig Lalumiere

Its only classified as a medium customer impact! Lets all attach to it to try to add some heat to it!

SPR #: 690317

Product: Enterprise PDM

Fixed in: none none

Area: Enterprise PDM

Sub-Area: EntPDM User Interface

Customer Impact: Medium

Enhancement: Yes

Summary:  Missing option to disable the User Information Popup Window in EPDM. (Introduced in EPDM 2013.)

And for everyone to be aware it also causes this:

SPR #: 667014

Product: Enterprise PDM

Fixed in: none none

Area: Enterprise PDM

Sub-Area: EntPDM Windows Explorer Integration

Customer Impact: Low

Enhancement: No

Summary: 2013 B2: Small GDI leak in explorer.exe process every time user pop up dialog is shown

Technical Comments: Verified using EPDM 2013 B3 13.0.311 1. Bring up task manager, processes, add column GDI objects. 2. Hover over a username to show the user pop up repeatedly - each time the pop up shows the GDI objects for explorer.exe increases and will not release.

I guess SW doesn't really care if you resources are being continually drawn buy functions you have no control over and in my point of view a pretty future not a useful one.

Scott Harvey

I don't understand.  Most applications now a days have the abilitty to display more information when you "hover" over the target area.  If you don't want it to display, don't "hover".  Point and click.  But seeing that a lot of people are agreeing with you maybe I don't understand what's going on.

I can imagine if the hover last less then half of a second it would be annoying but if its the same speed as hover over a dialouge box in SolidWorks.....well then I just dont get it.  Point and click, don't hover.

Brian Dalton

It seems to me that your perspective is not necessarily realistic, considering the way people tend to use such applications.  In many cases my mouse movements are a reflection of my thought process as I work my way through the creative process; not unlike talking quietly to myself as I work out a complicated problem.  As such, it is a false assumption that every movement of the mouse represents a definite action to activate a control (click) or that the click will always happen immediately upon the arrival of the cursor over the object in question.  In other words, I (and I assume others) apply a literal interpretation to the name 'pointer' that is given to the little arrow - we may tend to point at something in the process of thinking about it and not necessarily just to give it a quick click.

For me the issue is mostly a matter of my view being obscured by popups that I don't find useful, that I often trigger unintentionally (see above), which are not necessarily quick to fade or easy to manually wipe away, and which I can't turn off because of the lack of a setting in the options.  I find the sudden inability to see the very thing I'm working on to be a big drag on my productivity, not to mention very annoying.

I've done enough programming to know how painfully easy it is to include the ability to disable such a function.  The gist of this thread is to point out to SW, Inc. that they would do well to focus more attention on supporting the productivity of their users than on throwing in more flashy features without due consideration to their downside effects.

Scott Harvey

You obviously think very differently then I do and that's ok.

I respect your opinion but I have had 2013 EPDM since it came out and I didn't even know this pop up box existed.  I saw it today and it wasn't that big of a deal to me.  I was responding to your post because I thought maybe I could help.

My advice to you is to strategically organize your columns so when this pop up box comes up its not blocking information you want to view.  Maybe a few columns over from your name column.  Any column that makes this box pop up I would decrease the width as small as possible to decrease the target area.

I don't know where else it happens but from what I gathered it was only in the home screen hovering over certain columns.

One more thing.  On my copy of 2013 EPDM as soon as I move the mouse the box goes away.  If you are moving your mouse around so much during your "creative process" why can't you just move it again? 

Charles Culp

Our problem is most prevelant during transisions, when selecting who will be notified.

You move your mouse to select a person to be notified, then a big window covers up the entire notification selection box. It makes it very difficult to select people to notify about the transition.

Marcello Jacobs

Charles is correct, during regular browsing through the PDM it is not a problem. The problem is when you are changing the state of a file and need to notify someone, the list is there with everyones name and while trying to select one name the pop-up comes up blocking the name you are trying to select.

Scott Harvey

Ok that would be a little frustrating I imagine.  I don't have to use that option.  I work for a SW reseller as a in house project engineer.  I use EPDM a lot but I don't have to notify anyone of changes since I am the only one working on the project.

Ill ask our EPDM AE  next time I get a chance.

Craig Lalumiere

Just out of curiosity for the advocates of the Pop-up have you entered all the information for all users to make it affective and useful? Including adding a picture of you team member to the pop-up. If you have what size company do you have or work for?

We are medium sized and to enter all that information manually could take weeks! Also If I let my users enter that information would be afraid of what would be put in there. (Primarily the picture)

FOURM-1.png