AnsweredAssumed Answered

Configurations or not?

Question asked by Matthew Williquette on Jan 8, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 by Jeremiah Feist

ok, so currently my employer does not have a PDM system but we are getting one installed within the next month or so.  With that, we decided we need to come up with a new part numbering system.

My first question is this.  If a single part is manufactured in mulptuple colors, do you simply keep everything in a default configuration and note the color options in the file properties, or do you create a new conifuration for each of the colors with configuration specific properties?

My initial thought was multiple configurations.  So the default would be natural/colorless and each color would be a new configuration.  That way, if we have an assembly that has multiple configurations of color combinations we could more easily call out the differences.  The area i was getting hung up on is when i get to a drawing.  I wanted a single drawing page per part, but i wanted a table that listed all the configurations that the part has (along with some configuration specific details such as pantone color, generic color name, etc).

Any thoughts?

Outcomes