3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 3:26 PM by Jerry Steiger

Part Saved Internally (Assembly?) Will Not Show Up In 2D Drawing

Nathan Cassou

So, I finished a 2D machine drawing of a part a few months back for the company. The drawing of course referenced the model so that everytime I made changes to the model the drawing would change. I recently used that same part in a complex assembly along with other parts made in the assembly internally (electrical wires). When I went to save the assembly it told me that there were parts in the assembly not saved and asked me if I would like to save them internally. I checked "yes" to this dialog box thinking that it was talking about the odd shaped electrical wires that I had modeled internally (I wasn't going to save an irregularly shaped object as an actual part number). So now the boss wants to make changes to that 2D machine drawing. I go to open it up and it says:

SW Forum Q1.png

I had the assembly open at the time so that is why is says "which is already open". I click "No" and the drawing will not reference the model thus it will not show up.

I need to turn this drawing around ASAP so any help would be appreciatted

Thanks

• Re: Part Saved Internally (Assembly?) Will Not Show Up In 2D Drawing
          Jerry Steiger

Nathan,

It should be safe to reply "Yes" to that question, as long as you didn't change the part in the new assembly.

Another alternative would be to close the assembly before opening the drawing. It will probably be able to find the appropriate saved part. If it doesn't, you can probably point it to the right part.

Jerry S.

Nathan Cassou

Jerry,

Even when I click "Yes" the drawing references the part that is inside the assembly and not the part file its self. But they are the same part. So the dims are in the wrong place and tons of different errors. Even when the dialogue box gives me the option to find the correct reference file, it still says that it will not work or "does not match the internal ID saved with the referencing document" and the ID (or name of the part file) is the same as the 2D drawing.

Nate

Jerry Steiger

Nate,

It makes sense that answering "Yes" when the assembly is open will leave the drawing referencing the part in the assembly; that's what you told it to do.

I don't know why you would have errors if the part truly did not change when you stored it inside the assembly. I suspect that it must have been modified in some way.

If it still tells you that the internal ID is incorrect when you point it at another file, that makes me think that you are still not pointing at the correct (the original) file. One trick is that accepting a new file (by saying "Yes" and then saving the drawing) resets the internal ID, so it will now think that the original file is not correct.

The internal ID is a hidden value that only SolidWorks knows. It has nothing to do with the name of the part file.

Jerry S.