2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2013 5:36 PM by Jim Sculley

System Update Notification

Ryan Dietz

Quick question. We have over a couple hundred different users from all departments in many states as well as overseas. I would like to send system update notifications to all users through EPDM but not sure how.

For example: I add or delete some variables from file cards or update the workflow. I want to send an alert to the users through the system that there were changes and describe the changes.

How do you handle system updates and notifying the various users?

Thanks.

Ryan

• Re: System Update Notification
          Shawn Kelly

I have a group I created called PDM_X_EVERYONE that I have automatically add new users and contains the rest.   Run this query and it will give a user email address listed that can be copied into the TO: address from an email application.  Granted it's not automated, but it also gives the flexibilty for you to put together whatever type notification or message to follow.

Declare @users varchar(max)

Set @users = ''

Select @users = @users + Email + ';'
          FROM         Users INNER JOIN
                                GroupMembers ON Users.UserID = GroupMembers.UserID INNER JOIN
                                Groups ON GroupMembers.GroupID = Groups.GroupID
          Where Groups.Groupname = 'PDM_X_EVERYONE' and Enabled = 1

Select @users

• Re: System Update Notification
            Jim Sculley

I have a group of system control files (empty files with a .ctrl) extension that I move through a simple workflow for various types of files (templates, macros, etc).  If I need to change a drawing template, I first transition the corresponding control file (template.ctrl) to a 'Changes Pending' state.  When the changes to the actual template are complete, I move the control file to a new state and have a notification set up on the transition.

Jim S.