10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2013 10:10 AM by Mark Kaiser

Inserting "Model Items" one by one

Kris Rowlands

Is there a way to do this?

I have a 14 page drawing that I'm duplicating of a very complex part, and I definitely want to use "Model Items", because it's a better way to dimension in my opinion. But as you can guess, when I do this to just one view, I get boatloads of dimensions that I may or may not want on that particular view. Is there a way to insert "model items" one by one?

Thank you!

• Re: Inserting "Model Items" one by one
          Mike Pogue

Kris,

Under System option/drawings, you can uncheck the box to mark dimensions for import by default. You can also go through your dimensions and set them not to import as appropriate. At this point, though, it's probably easiest to just insert them all and delete the onees you don't need.

Dony Juniar Abdullah

Kris,

please uncheck for option at "use dimension placement in sketch". Or using DimXpert at smart dimension.

Mark Kaiser

In the drawing, select a feature (lmb on a cut extrude, boss, revolve, etc.) in the feature manager tree, the hit the insert model items command.  Once the model items property manager is up, for the source, choose 'selected feature' (see picture).  The first time you choose selected feature, it may not stick, and you may get all of your dimensions in.  In this case, I hit my undo button, and try again .  Works for me.

dimensions.png

Kris Rowlands

Unfortunately, these options are not exactly what I am looking for; I'd love to have the great benefits of the "Model Item" dimensions with the one by one placement of "Smart Dimensions".

When I use this option Mark, it does not dim just the feature I have selected. When I use "Model Items", due to the complexity of the part, I get about 200 dimensions per view. To "hide" and "delete" the dims I do not want on that particular view almost takes more time than dimensioning it using "Smart Dimensions".

I cannot share the part here so that folks can see exactly what I'm working with; it is proprietary and govermentally controlled.

Mark Kaiser

So you have 200+ dimensions in one sketch in the part file?  The method I described will insert only the dimensions for the feature and its sketch, I do it all the time.

Kris Rowlands

To create a certain feature, there may be more than one sketch that drives it. Multiple cuts, if you understand my meaning.

Mark Kaiser

Yes, I understand.

Did you try my method?  If you have dimensions in your part file you do not want on your drawing, setting up your part file like Mike describes, then using my method to insert model items may be your best bet.

I attached a shockwave/html video to show the difference between using entire model items/selected feature for source option when inserting model items.  It will show when you change source to selected feature, that it doesn't stick the first time.  If you start the insert model items command, change the source to selected feature, then hit cancel, it will remember the setting.  Then pre-select a sketch or feature in the fmt, hit insert model items, and it should be set to selected feature, and will only import those dims from your sketch that you have set as Mike instructs.

Hopefully the video works and clears up my method if you didn't understand it (download both attached files and double click the one named 'double click this file - dim.swf.html, first swf/html file for me, hope it works).