5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2012 1:26 PM by Monroe Dinh

Why did my tangents constraints flip?

Monroe Dinh

I was toying around with making additional configurations for my model and for some reason the tangents flipped on the sketch for the "DD Slot" feature.  Any reason why this would've happened? It's freakin me out so now I'm becoming quite discouraged in my attempt to help my company organize and catalog their parts.  I've attached the picture of what it should look like and the model that went crazy.

Thanks in advance!

• Re: Why did my tangents constraints flip?
          Peter Farnham

It's not wrong in that they are still tangent but this is still not welcome.

To stop this happening again you just need to change your way of dimensioning.

If you were to dimension one arc, then make the other arcs equal, (as you have done), then delete this arc dimension and instead add a dimension between the top and bottom line.

This will stop the tangents flipping.

Monroe Dinh

I thought the same thing but was hoping not to have to do that.  The reason I have it dimensioned like so is that the arc dimension is driven by an equation in the design table to pick a nominal cutter diameter which drives the total height.  The dimensions that i need to input, which are constant, are the width of slot, depth of slot and diameter of the slot(which is the diameter of the male stem going into the slot).

Obviously I'm not as advanced at configurations if this is screwing with my models and I might have to revert back to doing individual part files and doing calculations for each part.

Walter Fetsch

I have been taught by some very knowledgeable people on this forum not to add fillets to sketches for exactly this reason.  It is far more stable to sketch the rectangular profile, then add the fillets after the part is completely modeled.

Monroe Dinh

Yea you're right... I should've known better than to set up the fillet in the sketch. I'm remembering now what my teacher taught me in class about making fillets as features as opposed to sketch profiles to avoid this.  I just needed to experience that in a work setting to solidify the knowledge I learned in class.  I'll try to find a different way to link the dimensions and set it up as a rectangular extrude cut with fillets.

Thanks for the help!