10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2013 7:42 AM by Karthik A

Imported curves as a sketch

Karthik A

Hi,

I am trying to import a curve from *.dat file to solidworks. I am using the "curve through xyz points" option and the curve is dislayed in the drawing window. Then, i could not extrude the curve or use any other features on the curve. Pls advice

• Re: Imported curves as a sketch
          Jerry Steiger

Karthik,

Curves are kind of special entities in SolidWorks. You will probably need to open a sketch and use "Convert Entities" to get usable sketch elements. If the curve lies in a plane, you can use a 2D sketch. If the curve does not, you can use a 3D sketch.

Jerry Steiger

Mark Kaiser

I'm not a curves expert, but I tried to import your curve on a plane in a part, and got the error message shown in the picture.  Looks like you have some clean up to do on the curve points before it is useable?

curve.png

Karthik A

Mark,

I also got the same error. I found out that the points when copied to an excel sheet lose the digits after three or four decimals and it is rounded to the nearest whole number.

Thanks.

Jerry Steiger

Karthik,

It sounds like you need to change the formatting of the Excel spreadsheet. I think you probably need to set the cell format to "General", rather than "Number", or use "Number" with as many places as your original numbers require.

You should probably take the "Correct Answer" off of my first post, since it doesn't really seem to have helped much, if any.

Jerry S.

Karthik A

Jerry,

I have fond your idea useful and it did show up some error but thats due to the improper format in excel. So the suggestion you gave worked. Now the import is done, can i any way manipulate the sketch, i.e. airfoil (like copy it and paste it) in another plane or scale it down inside solidworks like we do in CATIA.

Jerry Steiger

Karthik,

You might be able to use the Proportional Spline option to scale a Spline which is built off of your curve using Convert Entities. That would allow you to scale the spline in a particular sketch. (Just check "Proportional Spline" in your Property Manager for the spline. After that you can move the sketch around. Fixing one end allows you to scale it by dragging the other.)

You might also be able to make a Block out of the spline and then scale the Block. Blocks would also be good for moving it to another plane. Derived Sketch will also allow you to copy it to another plane.

I don't have access to SolidWorks right now, so the above is based on possibly faulty memory.

Jerry S.

Karthik A

Hi Jerry,

I am not able to find the option of proportional spline. And i have found out an alternate to scale the curve by using move entities option, But there is a small problem, i cannot move the spline in the third direction. If i use 3D sketching, scaling option is missing. Is there any way to use both in the same sketch, either 3d sketch or 2d sketch.

Jerry Steiger

Karthik,

Left click on the spline. The property manager will show up on the left. Check the box to the left of "Proportional" at the bottom of the Parameters.

Jerry S.

Karthik A

Hi Jerry,

I am getting problems with the Wing model using loft surface command. The thing is, I am trying to make a wing of varying chords (blended wing body) and i am importing the airfoil as curve and convert it. Then i scale it according to the chord, but in this process when i try to create a lofted surface between these varying chord airfoils, the body is forming sharp edges and not smooth or rounded. Any suggestions to scale the airfoil alternatively or forming a surface between these airfoils without any cornered edges.

Thanks,

Karthik.

Capture.JPG