There are few ways to do this, but none of them are as clean as you are hoping for.
- Use the bill of material tab. (may or may not work depending on your structure)
- Create a variable (call it "TopLevel") and assign to that variable the name of the top level assembly for any part/drawing/assembly. This will allow you to search for that.
- Use the copy tree feature
- Run a report (maybe from your erp or production planning software) and generate a list of the drawings you need. Then put the results in a list seperated with spaces. for example "1231234.slddrw 23123432.slddrw 234123406.slddrw" and put that in the the default "complete search" search card. It will find all files in the list, in this case the 3 files I put above.
- create an API to do exactly what you need.
I will have a look at the options you have suggested.
I would however need help in creating an API as I have never written one, do you have any advice on this?
Well, if you like programming, I'd encourage you to dive in and get your hands dirty. The forum and help files are a great place to start. If you'd prefer to shy away from the programming, I'm sure you could find someone to write some code for you. I would recommend starting with your VAR.