7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2013 8:23 AM by Eric Henderson

CSWP SEGMENT 1

Eric Henderson

I've taken the CSWP and passed Segments 2 & 3 but am having a problem with Segment 1.....specifically questions 5 & 6 with one particular cut. Is someone out there willing to help me figure this thing out? I know we probably can't openly discuss specific problems on the forums so if you need to, we talk talk offline. Thanks!

• Re: CSWP SEGMENT 1
          Eric Henderson

Anyone????

My problem has to to with the revolved....or extruded.....or combination cut on the shorter cylinder. I've tried every way I can think of and I can't get it to work without somehow messing with the "bridge" in the middle. Help.....

Adrian Williams

Hi Eric.

The CSWP is meant as a test of your ability.

If you can't do it, you're not ready. Go away and practice until you think you can, then try again.

I know you're asking for help to do just that, but it's based on stuff you should know anyway.

I sat mine about 18 months ago and didn't find anything flash, fancy or clever in the test.

A little advice:- Make sure you have two screens and time alone to sit the test.

I passed after resitting one part as I sat my test during the working day while colleagues were asking me about things, so I ran out of time...

Better luck next time.

Adrian.

Todd Becker

Hey Eric,

I gotta agree with Adrian.  I just took the CSWP test on Monday of this week and passed Segments 1 & 3.  I have been practing on the (2) questons that I missed on Segment 2. I come to find out that I must have been a mutton head when i took the test.

Based on your description, I had the same part to model on my test. I will share this with you, if you modeled your part with good DESIGN INTENT, your problem will go away.

Take the problem and practice, practice, practice.

Todd

Eric Henderson

I'm pretty sure its the ORDER of the features that is giving me the problem. I basically create the 2 cylinders first then the "bridge" between the 2. Towards the end I create the cut that is giving me the problem and have to re-order it. So if I create that cut early then suppress it, it should work?

Deepak Gupta

Make sure there are no parent-child relations while you're reordering the features or suppressing them. Best way to model is go thru all the questions and plan your design intent accordingly.

Jerry Steiger

Eric,

I know nothing about any of the exams, but I doubt that SolidWorks would set up a test that required you to reorder your feature manager or to create a cut and then suppress it. I believe that is the kind of workarounds that truly knowledgeable users aren't supposed to need.

Jerry S.

Eric Henderson

Well I retook Segment 1 of the CSWP and passed it with flying colors......100% with about 40 minutes to spare. I am now a CSWP!!! Thanks for the help guys. And Jerry.....I did have to reorder a couple of steps in some of the tests. I'm not sure if that's how the test is designed but it worked for me.