13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2006 4:21 PM by

selection highlighting and dimensionins dissapear

I see this sometimes after SW has been in session for a while. Can't say what situations actuall cause it, but if your part window is maximised, unchecking this via the middle button at the top right of the part's window clears this behavior for me for a few minutes till the next time I sketch. This is a known issue I believe that cropped up in 2006.
        • selection highlighting and dimensionins dissapear
          tried all mentionned options. no change.

thanx for trying.
            David,
            What version SW are you using? At least some of what you describe like the dims not showing until clicking to place were bugs in early versions of 2005.

Dave Heinemeyer
            www.MillenniumAutomation.com
            SolidWorks 2007 SP01.1
            Windows XP Pro SP2
              Dave,

I havn't run into that problem in a very long time, but if I remember correctly you have to go into the system options "display/Selection". Then I do believe it is one of those functions in there needs to be highlighted. Again I havn't run into it for a while but I think that's a good place to start.
                Having a problem and not on any particular fil. It just happens occasionally.

At some point (nothing special going on, not using a lot of CPU power, simple part) my preselect highlights in sketching simple become intermittently invisible. Also, when i do a "Smart Dimension" the dimension ALWAYS is invisible until i click it's location.

for instance... I want to draw a line from a center of a circle to whereever. typically, as my mouse hovers near the center point, it changes colors. then i know that is the time to click and "grab" that location. The changing colors does NOT occur. If I blindly assume that "gee i hope i locked on to this center" and it did. of course sometimes i miss.

If I exit Solidworks and re-enter, it goes back to normal for a while. today, I get an hour of use until this "dissapearing preselects and dimensioning" occurs.

The only thing about unusual these parts is that it is 100% sketches with a flat surface on each sketch. These things are fairly long airship fin patterns (20 ft x 4 ft with some .125" details) so perhaps it is a relative scale thing where i am working on tiny details of a huge part. But I recently (as in no SW updates have occurred since then) worked on an airship twice his size with no problems.

Anyone recognize this "effect" and know a way around it without exitting n restarting SW?

This is not a show stoopper. only takes a minute to save all exit and restart. It is simply agravating.

Thanx in advance.

Dave
                  Sorry I can't help Dave but I experience a similar problem - usually happens when zoomed in quite close but otherwise it is the same as yours. I am on SW2006 but interestingly, I have experienced the problem on two different machines with different graphics cards. The settings were not transferred from the old machine to the new either. I think I can rule out memory too; the old machine had only 512Mb but the new has 2Gb.
                  It's a bit tedious sketching blind!

I remember in early SolidWorks, there was a setting which had something to do with zooming in close on Windows 95 - I know this is no longer in there but perhaps this is still the problem area in question.
                    Try checking allow selection in wireframe and the one below that in the display/selection in the system options.
                      Thanks very much. Not tried it yet - in typical fashion, it's working fine at the moment!
                        Sorry for being a bit dim; please could you explain? I only have a two button mouse with a scroll wheel - no middle button. What is it I need to do? I can tile all the windows - that will stop the part in question being maximised, but then what, or Is that it?

Thanks - I would love to be rid of this little bug!
                          No middle mouse button required for this, just look up at the top right of the SW window and you will see two sets of the window controls; one for the program itself and one for the part. The middle button of these three control whether the window os maximised or not. Clicking that middle button will toggle the window from being maximised to allowing you to set the window size by draggin the corner. This is a Windows standard.
                            Sorry, so are you saying that the solution, each time stuff goes missing, is to simply change from maximised to non-maximised and then back?
                              on 2006 27 08:24 Mark Matthews wrote:
                              > I see this sometimes after SW has been in session for a while. Can't say what
                              > situations actuall cause it, but if your part window is maximised, unchecking this
                              > via the middle button at the top right of the part's window clears this behavior for
                              > me for a few minutes till the next time I sketch. This is a known issue I believe
                              > that cropped up in 2006.

OK that has solved it over past 2 times it occurred.

Thank you
                                We are just on last SP of 2006 and I am upgrading to 2007 this week.