10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 9:11 PM by Derek Parks

Technical illustrations as images?

Rf Fr

Hi there,

I am trying to create an image based on the technical illustration feature in 3DVIA composer. I've done things like pull up the svg file in internet explorer, take a screenshot, and then past it into a word document and then convert the word document to pdf. But still, I find the image quality to be quite poor when it finally gets to pdf.

There has got to be an easier way to get that lovely black and white technical image into a pdf!

What do all the rest of you do to get get black and white technical illustrations to a document? I am trying to make a product manual here that is printed out in black and white so it needs to be in technical illustration mode to just show lines and not waste ink by printing a grayscale of a color image.

THANKS!!!

• Re: Technical illustrations as images?
          Anna Wood

What software do you have for pdf creation?  Is there a pdf Printer installed on your system?  Adobe Distiller is installed if you have Adobe Acrobat.  You can select Distiller as a printer from any program.

Cheers,

Anna

John Burrill

Rf, I saw a 3DVia tutorial on recently showing how to make a high-res raster image from an SVG.  In this case, the presenter inserted the SVG into an empty view and then made a detail of that view.

I'm only just getting started with 3DVia but I was curious, can you not simply export your technical illustration using the high-resolution image workshop?

Keith Carter

I create a lot of illustrations for consumer product manuals. This is how I have been doing it.

1) Open a SolidWorks drawing and create all the views you think you might need.

2) Save the drawing as Adobe Illustrator AI file.

3) Open in illustrator to clean up unwanted lines, add motion arrows, add text, etc.

4) From there you can save it out as PDF, EPS, DWG, JPG ... whatever you need.

This isn't using 3DVIA but it works well for individual illustrations.

Derek Parks

I personally export all of my .svg. or .eps directly from 3DVIA Composer and then import them into Indesign for publishing. By using your Technical Illustration workshop you can make some really impressive black and white images with no need for editing in another software. Plus when using another software there would be no reason to have to turn all of you individual images into pdf files. You have to keep in mind that Composer is for creating your images not publishing them. In order to get those clean manuals that you are looking for you will need a good publishing program. Of course it can be done with Word but if you or your company spent that kind of money to run Composer than I would spend the extra cash for a more professional publishing software. After you get your manual all lined out you simply save it in whatever file format you like. Hope this helps.

Derek

Rf Fr

If indesign can directly import the svg that I export from composer, that would be great. I have tried opening an svg in microsoft word, but it won't let me crop or resize it like an image.

Derek Parks

Yes, it can use it directly. .eps or .svg.. It really helps my work flow also with keeping everything linked for updates or revisions. You may be having issues because of the way you are trying to do it but not sure. I read in your post that you click on detail view and then save as high resolution. There is no reason to use detail view unless that is what you want to achieve "a detail". For instance a zoom of a certain point of a part. All that you need to do is get your view how you want it and choose from a selection in the drop down of your technical illustration menu. What I did in the beginning was take a basic assembly and export that assembly view (all the same) in every way possible in high resolution and technical and saved the files. I then made a poster with images of all the different types labeled so I could pick and choose what would work best for each project. Hope this clears it up a little more.

Cheers,

Derek