4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2012 5:27 PM by Greg Rupp

Issues previewing files in EPDM & eDrawings.

It Admin

I'm having issues previewing parts in EPDM/eDrawings 2012. The attached messages pop up when trying to open a file.

I went into the file to see if the 'Save tessellation with part document' field was checked, and it was.

Based on some research - simply opening the part and re-saving the document seems like a possible fix.

I am currently in the middle of transferring data into EPDM, will saving and converting old files to the new form affect assemblies and any other linking that was initially established?

• Re: Issues previewing files in EPDM & eDrawings.
          Greg Rupp

My experience has been once you resave files it's fixed. We had lots of issues with Edrawings 2011 sp3-5 & 2012 sp0/sp1 and files saved in 2011 format.  I think it either got changed in sp2 or 3, but we have edrawings sp4 now. The issue seams to have gone away (*knock on wood*) when we upgraded Solidworks (and vault) to 2012 sp4 or higher.

It Admin

Thanks for the reply.

Some of our parts are from SolidWorks 2006 and will be re-saved as 2012 versions. Is there any risk of losing data with a big gap in versions? Is there a way to check that the file hasn't been altered when saved in 2012?

Greg Rupp

I honestly don't know the answer to that. Are you doing one file at a time or are you using the file upgrade tool?  I would recommend doing a pack and go (or copy tree) on a few of your older assemblies and test it out. I do know solidworks made some significant changes in '08, not sure how it would cause data loss though.

The benefit of the vault is that if the file is already in the vault as '06 format and is then converted into a '12 format, it will create a new version. If something isn't to your liking, you can roll the file back.

If you are using the file upgrade tool then it either creates a new version or creates a backup file... either way, the original is recoverable.

Keith Vittitoe

Kurt,

Hello.  You and Greg are correct.  Preview information is saved with the SolidWorks file each time the file is saved (anyone remember the days when the thumbnail took on the last saved orientation and everyone complained that they had to re-save in iso view?).  Saving the files fixes the issue by creating the missing info.  The setting is found by navigating to Tools->Options->Document Properties->Image Quality->save tessellation with part document. This will allow the files to be opened under the View only mode or using any other viewer - like eDrawings which EPDM uses.

Best Regards,

Keith