10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 4:07 PM by Roger Pullen

Threads missing in drawings - creating relative views of individual bodies of a multibody part

Roger Pullen

I often use multibody parts where I show, for example, several pieces of flat bar of different sizes attached to each other.  I then use the hole wizard to put a hole in one body and a tapped hole in the body to which it is attached.  I create the tapped hole by selecting the "select body" option in the hole wizard. 

The problem I have is when I go to create a drawing from the multibody part.  I usually create a view of the multibody part on sheet 1, then use the relative view command to draw the individual bodies on sheets 2, 3, 4 etc.  What happens is that the thread may or may not show on drawing views of an individual body created in this way. Any of the following and probably more I can't think of now can happen.

1.  A thread does not show in the view when I create it for the first time.  If a thread is missing I close the drawing and re-open it and it appears.  Other times I go to the model and suppress the hole wizard option that created the tapped hole and unsuppress it (then it appears)

2.  Sometimes if the thread is there when I create the view I later print the drawing and the thread disappears. 

3.  Sometimes if the thread is there when I create the view I later re-open the drawing and the thread disappears.

4.  A thread does not show in the view when I create it for the first time.  I someimes delete the view and create a relative view selecting the opposite face as my front view.

5.  A different problem but equally annoying is that sometimes threads from other bodies are shown on the drawing view even though I have created a drawing of a specific body.  I have to manually select these and hide them

I have raised this with my local Solidworks providers but they have not been able to come up with a reason or a solution for the issue. 

Is anyone else experiencing such problems?   Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to solve the problems.

An example model is attached.  If you have some time, try creating some relative views of the individual bodies with tapped holes and let me know if you have similar issues.

• Re: Threads missing in drawings - creating relative views of individual bodies of a multibody part
          Glenn Schroeder

Roger,

I never need to use the Hole Wizard feature for tapped holes, so I can't answer your question, but I have something else that may help.  I also often detail multi-body parts, and I use the Relative View function as you mentioned above when necessary, but I much prefer the "Select Bodies..." function that was introduced in SW2010 (see Vikas Garg's post on this discussion).  I only use Relative View if the body is at an odd angle.  Even then it's probably still easier to create a new view in the part that has the body at the proper orientation and use the "Select bodies..." function.

• Re: Threads missing in drawings - creating relative views of individual bodies of a multibody part
            Richard Gergely

Yeah there are plenty of problems with thread in drawings or even models. I find the most reliable thread is in assembly drawings where each part has had thread on indenpently. Have you thought about doing assemblies/sub assemblies of these parts instead? It may well fix your problem 98% of the time.

Hiding, cropping, select bodies is probablamtic with multi bodies in different ways in drawings. If I remember correctly crop is the most successfull with keeping thread correct but of course that isn't possible if the parts are joined as such.

I can only hope that it's better in 2013. I seriously thinking about forgetting about maintenance for 2014 unless I see loads of bugs sorted that effect me (I fully understand that they may not be a problem for other people who don't encounter them in their line of work).

Roger Pullen

Hi Richard

I have thought about going back to assemblies\subassemblies but don't really want to because the multibody option is so much more efficient, flexible and accurate (holes staying aligned etc).  I believe the problem is not enough people really understand how good using multibody parts is.  We have 12 seats of solidworks at our company spread across about 20 users.  I am the only person using this feature because most people like to stick to the way they have always done it.  I used Solidworks for 11 years before doing a lot of weldments last year.  Then I discovered how useful multibody parts are.  If more people used multibody parts and even weldments, a lot of these problems would be highlighted through enhancement requests and you would expect Solidworks would give more priority to fixing the bugs.  Thanks for your input anway.

Richard Gergely

Hi roger.

If you were using references in the assembly all the holes would stay alligned. You can work on the assembly in fixed mode so no mates are required but what does happen is that when one part changes if you have done the reference geometry correctly the other part will change.

This also has the benefit of the computer working a lot faster.

I do use a lot of multibodies but it's usually in the initial set-out of a tool design of making the splits because you really have to do it that way.

But you can really drive any geometry in multi parts in a assembly just the same as in a multi body part. Which will update fully as things move or change.

Jerry Steiger

Roger,

I think what Richard is saying is that it is not an either/or question of multibody or assembly. Use both. Build your part using multibody techniques, but use Save Bodies to save them out as individual parts and automatically make an assembly. Then use the assembly for the drawing. It might even work better to put the tapped holes in the assembly. This may give you the best of both worlds. It does for me, but I am designing plastic parts.

Jerry S.

Roger Pullen

Hi Jerry

I have used Save Bodies a few times but have one particular issue relating to adding new bodies that I have not been able to overcome.  When doing the "Save Bodies" action initially and automatically creating an assembly under the "Create Assembly" option the assembly is created.  If I then go back my multibody part and add another body or two they do not automatically become saved by the "Save Bodies" action in the feature tree.  I have to drag the feature(s) I used to create the bodies back in the feature tree prior to the "Save Bodies" command and, though I would expect them to automatically be integrated in the assembly created by the "Save Bodies" feature, they do not.  Instead I have to "Edit Feature" on the "Save Bodies", create new names for the part files for the new bodies and overwrite the assembly I created earlier.  Is this how you do it?  It all seems pretty messy to me which is why I have chosen to steer clear of it to this point in time.  If there is an easy way to use this feature I would be grateful if you could tell me how.

Regarding the tapping of holes at the assembly level it doesn't really suit me for my application.  I am trying to draw the parts individually and get a foolproof way of showing the tapped holes on these parts.

Thanks

Roger

Jeni Mann

Hi Roger,

Just a quick thanks for the detailed description of your problem and some workarounds you had tested...

I had been wondering why threads were 'randomly' disappearing and was disappointed that closing and opening the affected drawing didnt fix it. However I opened the part and found as per your point#1 that it was inactive for some reason and supressing/unsuppressing it made it work again.

So your extra info just fixed my short-term problem... now to find the ER/SPR for it...

Jeni

Roger Pullen

Hi Jeni

Thanks for your thoughts.  Over recent months I have overcome the thread disappearing problem most times by always selecting "up to next" when creating the thread with hole wizard in a multibody part.  It's a worthwhile exercise to create a tapped hole in a multipbody part with blind, up to next, through all options and each time opening the second sketch created by the hole wizard.  It illustrates why threads don't appear some times in the drawing.  Unfortunately at this stage this method is not fool proof but seems to work most times.

Roger