3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2012 2:32 PM by Jason Capriotti

Edit Variable value in Transition?

Dan Bertschi

Hey Gang,

New to EPDM admin, but making headway and actually understanding most of it  !  The situation is this... I have a transition that sends files from an Approved state to a WIP state. In that transition, the 'Revision' is changed from (example) A to A+ via Value %Revision%+.  This results in my contents of Revision being "A+".

I'm creating an "UNDO" transition, and don't know how to remove the "+" and keep the "A".  I know I can redefine/replace it, but short of having another variable (i.e. TempRevision), is there any way to remove specified text from a variable text string?

Thanks!

• Re: Edit Variable value in Transition?
          Jason Capriotti

In this case we do a rollback which eliminates it from the history as if it never happened. This is a must for us because if someone adds a drawing to a particular ECO, the ECO number gets applied to the data card. If the drawing was placed on ECO by mistake or needs to be removed then another transition to set it back to previous revision still leaves ECO number in place. Even if the user puts the previous ECO number back in the field, the other ECO it was mistakenly put on is still part of the history and thus this drawing will show up on an ECO number search.

Dan Bertschi

Thanks Jason... why didn't I think of the tool intended for this purpose?   I'm still learning...  In this system, only an Admin can rollback, but they want the users to to be able to "undo" an accidental move to WIP, they also don't want to lose the history during a rollback.

Jason Capriotti

Undoing the process without doing a rollback can be difficult. If you build a loop back transition you have to be careful to restore the file and undo any changes that were made and alos set the data card back to previous values.

We only allow two or three people the ability to roll back as its too dangerous for the casual user.....you can essentially delete the entire history of the part.

What would nice is a function that allows a user to rollback to a version. But instead of deleting the history, it creates a new version but restores a previous version file and data card and its place in the workflow.