AnsweredAssumed Answered

"File Version Upgrade" issues

Question asked by Brian Endres on Dec 11, 2012
Latest reply on Jan 18, 2013 by Corey Vantilborg

I am running a test vault in order to convert our 2010 vault to 2012 (I know, we're a little behind, but that's just the way it is).  I thought that I had a good method to use the Enterprise "File Version Upgrade" tool.  First, I would convert all the part files, then convert the assembly files - drawings will just be ignored since they can be converted next time they are opened.

Step 1 went very well, about 45K part files were split among three computers and were done in about 12 hours - not bad at all.

Step 2 didn't go so well, I tried to convert the 10K assembly files between the three computers and about 8K files got skipped and, in the end, about 20K files were left checked out among the three computers.  As a side note, there REALLY needs to be a better way to bulk undo checkouts...  I spent a few hours undoing all these checkouts

So, I decided on a different approach.

Step 2a will be to convert all the assembly files on one computer - that's been running for the past 24 hours.  I just took a look at the vault and it seems that about 10% of the assembly files aren't even checked out?  I know that I selected the option to convert assembly files, how could that many files have gotten skipped?

Does anyone have any other tips to share with the use of the upgrade tool?  Any success stories?  Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I really would like to get this working before we go live with our upgrade.  Thanks in advance!

Outcomes