Hi Brian, I wish i had a success story, but unfortunately not so much. I will share my story though.
This was the first upgrade of the vault (and files) since we implemented the vault. Now to be fair, when we implemented the vault, our data was a complete mess with broken references, various years of file versions etc. Only a small amount of files were "fixed" before we implemented.
We did our upgrade in 2 phases. Phase 1 was upgrading all of the EPDM servers and clients from 2011sp3 to 2012sp4. This went pretty good. We had over 120 client installs, so we attempted to use SCCM to push out the install. All in all, that was pretty successful. I had a number of computers that had issues with E-drawings preview not working correctly, but that was remedied later on.
Phase 2 was the toolbox upgrade, solidworks upgrade , and file upgrade phase. We did the "overright existing version - Latest version" option ; so I never had any check in/out issues. But I did learn a few things. If you use the toolbox, do that first. Then when you do the file upgrade, make sure you check the "do a complete rebuild" option. I did not do this the first time with the fear of it stirring up problems with broken references. Turns out, if you don't do a complete rebuild, drawings with multiple sheet may/will not display correctly. The solution for me was to rerun all drawing files with the rebuild option turned on. Also, make sure the machine(s) doing the upgrade are properly using the new toolbox or your will have other issues (we had some of those problems too). I would recommend double checking your file location paths in the options as well.
When you are given the option for a comment, make sure you put some type of date or unique indicator. this will allow you to search for files that have been updated. This is even more important when you have run the upgrade tool multiple times.
next is the issue I'm working on today. At some point in time files in the vault were REMOVED. What happened is the convert tool renamed the original file to bak_0_00000002 and then failed on the file convert. When it failed, it never made a new file and never put back in place the back up file. so now, when we try to get latest version on certain files, we get an error saying say the file is missing or not found on the archive server. As I type this, I'm running the "archive consistency" tool to track down all my issues. Not sure how this is going to pan out.
My personal experience using the upgrade tool is not a good one. And here I am, 6 weeks later, still trying to resolve issues it created.
OHH one more thing, sometimes it will look like solidworks is hanging while doing the convert. I'm not sure why but I found out that if I kill the adobe acrobat or adobe reader process in task manager, it would fix the hang. very weird qwik, but I tried it atleast a dozen times and it work each time.
Just a followup to this one - we finally went and did the conversion and it wasn't all that bad.
The "File Version Upgrade" works very well for doing parts - as I noticed from the testing. For assemblies, I had to check out the entire vault of assemblies and use "SolidWorks Task Scheduler" to run the conversion then check everything bad in - a little bit painful but it's done.
Glad we only do this every couple of years!
My answer would be don't use it.
I did a multiple machine upgrade of all our SW files from 2011 to 2012 and all sort of weirdness ensued.
Drawings were missing views models became suppressed in assemblies.
We ended up haveing to do a rollback on all the files that had been converted just to get the drawing back to a state were general viewers could print drawings.
It was a complete nightmare. Good Luck
I think the tool works pretty well but as others have noticed does a poor job on assemblies.
Furthermore it rebuilds the files, which means if there are any unlocked references you will have parts/assemblies changing. This is my biggest fear.
We leave all our files unupgraded which has a performance penalty but ensure we have good data.