4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2012 5:15 PM by Vernard Mercader

How do I cut a detail on an edge of a ring?

Vernard Mercader

So, I ran into some problem...

I have here is a ring, and an etching already wrapped around it using the Wrap -> deboss feature:

1.jpg

And then, I wanted to cut-through another sketch around the ring with this pattern:

2.jpg

I have done so, (unprofessional and crudely, I admit) using the wrap feature (and debossed using a depth just over the ring thickness - and it cuts through), and it resulted to this:

3.jpg

As much as it looks good, there's something missing—and it's not what I intended to happen.  The Top and bottom sketching seems to not have been "cut" through, obviously, because the wrap features isn't meant to do that.  What I wanted to happen was to have the whole pattern cut through the ring,

thus, instead of a flat top and bottom like this:

4.jpg

I wanted to cut through the top in a manner like this:

5.jpg

I've seperated the Top and Bottom Cut-throughs in case there are any other features I can use.  I was thinking of the Boundary-cut feature, but I seem confused on how to use it.  I think there could probably a way to do it without using Circle Sketches and then extrude/boss feature (which is used on this one).

I provided a work file SLDPRT, attached with this thread, in case anyone wants to play with it.

(I am just an Novice intern working on the company's SolidWorks 2011).  Thanks in Advance!