3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2012 9:27 PM by Anna Wood

importing wireframe igs

Mark Sawchuk

A client has sent us an igs file in wireframe mode. It opens in SW 2013, the feature tree loads a whole bunch of parts but none are visible. If you scroll down the Feature manager highlighted items show up but no parts there. If I open a part separately I can see surfaces but can't mend them or create a solid from them. Is there some sort of translator out there that will convert this to step or something so I can get a solid model to use in my assembly. The client does not know much about the file I'm guessing there a middle person. I have attached the file in a zip format, it could be generated from catia or something i'm not sure.

any help would be appriciated as I don't really want to redraw this from scratch.

Thanks

Mark S

• Re: importing wireframe igs
          Anna Wood

The file was created in Autodesk Inventor.  You can see this by opening the file in Notepad.  iges and step files are plain text files.

I would get with the client and have them get you a file that contains solid model data.  But that is just me.... 

Cheers,

Anna

Mark Sawchuk

Thanks Anna, we've asked them for a solid model not wireframe with no luck, they don't really understand which is why i think there just a middle person in the project. Are there no translators out there that can convert this file?

Anna Wood

Not automagically and probably not free even if there was such a program.

Here is what is in the file when I open in Rhino.  It is just wireframe data.  No surface data in the file that I can see.

Rhino.png

See if you can get them to let you talk to the originator of the file.  Any chance you can charge them a lot of money for data creation time.  That tends to focus the mind with customers when they realize it is going to cost more to get the job done. 

FWIW,

Anna